Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Pics
Quote:
Dear Ms. Bev, WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME! Loving the babies that I received from Paul a few short weeks ago. Thank you again for your assistance with that. I greatly admire your dedication to these birds. Thanks for joining us! This is going to be great!
big_smile.png

Kim

Ok I have a question.... I have only ever saw a Marans in person twice but how close are you to drafting a standard and getting it accepted? And also is there a bantam Marans?

Hi Bev, someone early today posted a thread asking if anyone knew where your Wheaten Marans originated from or if you developed them your self. Don

Hi

My lines of wheatens originally came from a sport that Ron Presley hatched out in 1999 Ron and I worked on that line for years not knowing anything about genetics. The egg color wasn't all that good although they had come from a dark egg. I was sent some eggs from the Teasdale line and cleaned that line up before crossing them with the original wheatens. I then developed the blue wheaten and crossed the two lines which produced large birds that laid dark eggs.

Bev

Ok I have a question.... I have only ever saw a Marans in person twice but how close are you to drafting a standard and getting it accepted? And also is there a bantam Marans?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bantam Blue and Black Ameraucanas, Bantam Mottled and Porcelain D'uccles, and Blue and Black Swedish Duck

Hi

The standard is being worked on at the moment before being submitted to the APA for approval. The qualifying meet for black coppers is in Newnan GA in February 2011 and the qualifying meet for wheatens will be at the Crossroads show in IN in November 2011.

There are bantam Marans in America and a few people are working on improving the egg color. At the moment they aren't being offered for sale.

Bev

Ok geebs...here's the only little Blue Copper pullet that I haven't shared yet, she is my youngest at 3 mos. and the very last gal that will be added to the breeding pen from all hatches I've done since Dec. 09 until 3 months ago.

11170_imgp7552.jpg

Here you can see her copper is just starting to show. I'm loving the tone of it!
11170_imgp7541.jpg

GASP!!!
thumbsup.gif

Pinkchick... That is Outstanding!! Nice consistant color all the way to the shanks.. How sweet it is!!! I see why you were saving her... Didn't want to Jinx it huh???? I hope she lays an ooberdarkie for you... A shiney ooberdarkie.
droolin.gif

Bev, will you please address the shank feathering for us? I have a few black coppers that look great in conformation; however, their shank feathering is not very thick - in fact, it doens't even go down the outside toe (these are not my Davis line - they have excellent shank feathering). My hope was cross the two lines, but I'm concerned that the shank feathering will not be good. Should we be culling for sparse shank feathering?

Back
Top Bottom