Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

That's interesting - I've not seen one with a white tail feather molt it out; it makes sense that it could be caused by a nutrition issue during the molt, though. I have heard some folks pondering on the protein percentage fed adding to this issue, as well. I'm not sure that it could happen, but I guess if we all knew everything about genetics, we'd all have perfect fowl.
I've had the same issue of cockerels and cocks getting white tail feathers during molt, then losing them and not getting them back in. I just figured it had to do with the folicle getting ready to drop the feather and that nutrients were not getting to the feather?

I've had the same issue of cockerels and cocks getting white tail feathers during molt, then losing them and not getting them back in. I just figured it had to do with the folicle getting ready to drop the feather and that nutrients were not getting to the feather?
It does make sense that the body wouldn't be pushing nutrients to a feather that was fixin' to fall out soon anyway.

They often don't show up until the cock bird is 2 yrs., unfortunately. It's quite frustrating.
Especially since most folks tend to use their young cocks in breeding programs. It's already been passed on by the time it shows up! With humans, stress can cause hair to go gray and then change back when the stress is resolved. The same is definitely true for antioxidants in the diet, as I have seen this on my own head more than once when going to a top of the line nutritional supplement program. It's kind of freaky when it happens the first time, but definitely a GOOD kind of freaky! (If anyone wants to know about that and other anti-aging options, PM me
wink.png
wink.png
)

Now I'm wondering about options for the poultry/white feathers/anti-aging...hmmm...

Yea i kinda cringed when you said fermented feed especially to young chicks/birds . I use soaked oats (3-4 days soaked) with my grown birds. Fermented food with just the slightest problem could easily cause a problem in young birds (their ability to handle certain things has just not completely developed yet .
(fermenting is rather delicate process) i would not feed it to young birds at all . I'd rather err to withhold than err using it .

Yes i think it would be evident if it was crop/craw-bound .

What kind of wormer did you use , what was your process and how did you administer it ?

You can probably find the State Diagnostic Lab listed in your telephone book (yellow pages or etc... under state) that is the first thing i would do tomorrow AM . Take one that is sick with this what-ever , if you got two take both .
You can (it's best to) call them ahead and tell them your situation and they will tell you what to bring .

Good Luck
DW and I have noodled it about and decided that if it was the FF, why does it take five weeks for any symptom to show? She typically will start the on FF at about two weeks of age. It makes sense to me that their system may be delicate in their young age but I would think if it is the FF that problems would show up sooner. All the same se probably should try a hatch batch without to see if there is a change.

We wormed with Ivermectin injectable in the water for three days. Next time we plan to use Rooster Booster.

We are waiting for a call back from the K State Vet Lab now. Lucky for us a fifth one has just begun showing signs of coming down with it this morning. All four of the previous ones are fine now and the only way we can tell them apart from the rest is the plastic tie we put on the leg to mark them.

Not sure what is going on but did you see this sort of information yet? I see you fed Vit E.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/218/vitamin-e-deficiency
That was an informative read, thank you. Our chicks do not display anything nearly that bad but it does seem to me that there is some kind of mineral or vitamin deficiency go on here.

When we hit them hard with vitamins and high protein diet they spring back, but boy it is scary watching them knock on deaths door.

Quote:
Do let us know when you get to the lab and see what they find .

I don't have an answer on the FF .

I individually worm my chickens so as to know for sure what's going on .
I know Ivomec has it's place and has some who swear by it BUT ivomec does not mix with water (so it's a crap shoot when doing it that way and we always lose in a crap shoot /. Some say there is a type that does mix with water . Also Ivomec is proven will NOT do all it's touted to doing . As i said Ivomec has it's place and purpose . I don't use it at all with chickens because we have stuff that we can use that will work without a guessing game .

DW and I have noodled it about and decided that if it was the FF, why does it take five weeks for any symptom to show? She typically will start the on FF at about two weeks of age. It makes sense to me that their system may be delicate in their young age but I would think if it is the FF that problems would show up sooner. All the same se probably should try a hatch batch without to see if there is a change.

We wormed with Ivermectin injectable in the water for three days. Next time we plan to use Rooster Booster.

We are waiting for a call back from the K State Vet Lab now. Lucky for us a fifth one has just begun showing signs of coming down with it this morning. All four of the previous ones are fine now and the only way we can tell them apart from the rest is the plastic tie we put on the leg to mark them.
I don't know if Ivermectin is approved for poultry. As a lifelong horseperson and nutrition consultant, we do NOT use any -ectins in our horses/livestock. This is a very strong opinion based on decades of experience watching neurological symptoms, abortions, etc. show up within three days of -ectin use. Each to their own and all that. It is said the neurotransmitters in invertebrates (worms) are different than the ones in vertebrates, but the evidence in my experience of the neurological issues post -ectin wormer leads us to make this choice.

Back
Top Bottom