Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Inbreeding is not as big a concern in poultry as it is in other animals. In fact, you will be able to breed darker egg laying hens by inbreeding if Ragnar has good color genes as well. You can determine that by breeding him with a hen that lays white eggs and hatching females from those eggs. If those hatched females lay a decent brown egg, then he has good brown egg genes. You can have a flock of dark egg laying hens, but a rooster with light egg laying genes will ruin any progress you are trying to make towards darker eggs
Hmm, that makes sense...Ragnar's only daughter (from a Wyandotte mother) lays eggs that I wouldn't consider dark chocolate brown by any stretch of the imagination, so I suspect he probably doesn't pass on strong dark egg genes. But, his daughter's eggs are darker and have a "shinier" texture (if that makes sense) than the other hens' eggs, so they are distinguishable. I'm not all that concerned about getting the darkest egg color possible, just getting eggs dark enough so that we can tell which ones will hatch Marans chicks. I do like the dark egg color, but I mostly like the Marans breed for their sane temperament, resiliency in different weather conditions, and that they can be good for meat, too.

Why do you say that inbreeding is not as much a concern for poultry as it is for other animals? Do they have less genetic diseases in general to worry about? Or, do most genetic abnormalities result in them not being able to hatch at all?

Yes, some hens will lay a glossier egg, with other having a more matte appearance. If your line has a good temperament, are vigorous, and have a healthy carcass, then I think you are in a good direction and should preserve those traits as much as possible.

There are few genetic diseases to worry about. The largest problem is decrease in overall vigor, but this occurs over many generations. If you mate a daughter to a father, for example, you will rarely see any genetic issues. Many breeders line breed, another word for inbreeding, to more accurately select for traits they wish to improve upon. A flock can stay closed to outside blood for many generations before needing a new outside bird (mainly due to the need to boost decreased vigor in offspring), but this is not to say you are breeding father to daughter, mother to son, or brother to sister for all those generations. You are often using two or three breeding pens and mixing offspring from those pens in the next generation. By breeding so closely to one another, you have less variables to fight when trying to improve your next generation of stock. With time, you come to know what is hiding in the genes of your flock and can make better breeding decisions. Adding in a new bird to the breeding pen brings that bird's entire genetic history with it, and many traits, such as white feathering in black birds, can pop up several generations down the road after the new bird is added.

This of course all gets rather serious in terms of space and record keeping, and many people are not so much interested in intense breeding. However I thought it would be a helpful explanation for mating closely related birds together.

I have 3 Black Copper Marans: Cherry-May Azula and Wendy they are so sweet and friendly! I had about 6 lavender Marans i got from someone on craiglist they were all so pretty and sweet but sadly 5 died before they had even started laying i think it had something to do with the breeder because i had never lost a chick that age before. The one i have left is very mean! And then i have Ruth i know she is a lavender maran mix i got her from the same breeder. She lays a beautiful egg almost everyday and is very friendly!
Cons
Eats alot
Some can be a bit pecky
Roosters can be aggressive
Pros
Pretty egg
Friendly
Beautiful
Gentle
Calm
All around i love the breed! Thanks for making this thread!

Hey littledog,

I have a gal in Portland, OR who breeds exceptional quality Marans - both black copper and birchen. She has purebred of both, and a really great cross. Her birches actually lay darker eggs than a typical black cooper - they're pretty amazing.
Hey again little dog,
My breeder runs an ad on CraigsList: here's a link to it. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/5559065982.html. You can contact her through that, and she'll set you up with some great Birchen, Black Copper, or Birchen/BCM-cross chicks. She's pretty great. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom