March 2017! Hatch with us!

I had to open it and help out the eggs. There was no way that they were getting out, most of the other eggs were done so it didn't harm much. Now there are 6 more chicks out and about, all but 1 seem fine.
I think that it was a humidity problem even though the other 2 breeds hatched out fine. Does anybody have any idea why some breeds need more humidity than others?
It also could have been because the eggs were too small and that they are first year hens. I'll get a final update tomorrow with pictures.

You done good, my friend, you done good.

Well, my broody pile of silkies has decided to leave the comfort of their little protected corner. I found 5 hens, crowded together in the middle of the silkie pen with the 5 little babies running around, jumping on 1 back, hopping over to the next. It was so CUTE!!! I'm not sure how they got out, the door was a TINY bit open. But they didn't want to go back in, so, I opened up the broody area, and gave the rest of the birds and will let them figure out where they want to be. They were in a tight circle, making sure the babies were well protected. They are 100% co-parenting. It's awesome to see!

Well, my broody pile of silkies has decided to leave the comfort of their little protected corner. I found 5 hens, crowded together in the middle of the silkie pen with the 5 little babies running around, jumping on 1 back, hopping over to the next. It was so CUTE!!! I'm not sure how they got out, the door was a TINY bit open. But they didn't want to go back in, so, I opened up the broody area, and gave the rest of the birds and will let them figure out where they want to be. They were in a tight circle, making sure the babies were well protected. They are 100% co-parenting. It's awesome to see!
Nice! It's lovely when chickens get along.
love.gif

Final results. 46/85 hatched. One breed had an 80% hatch rate, antoher had 50%, another had 33%.
One had a splayed leg so I braced it. He looked pretty weak. Currently I give him a 15% chance of surviving the night. He also needed to be helped out. Lets hope I get a miracle chick.

Final results. 46/85 hatched. One breed had an 80% hatch rate, antoher had 50%, another had 33%.
One had a splayed leg so I braced it. He looked pretty weak. Currently I give him a 15% chance of surviving the night. He also needed to be helped out. Lets hope I get a miracle chick.
Wishing you good luck with your troubled chick. Congratulations on your hatch! What are the different breeds that go with those 80/50/33 hatch rates?

Wishing you good luck with your troubled chick. Congratulations on your hatch! What are the different breeds that go with those 80/50/33 hatch rates?
80%: Easter eggers/Blue eggs
50%: meat birds/egg layers not sure what breed. Brown eggs.
33%: The ones that are mine, sulmtalers. 8/10 had to be helped out.
The chick is starting to put weight on his legs so I think he might be okay.

Last edited:
Would love to see chick pics, as they grow. I'm curious about the dual-purpose mystery birds.

Yay, little chick!
thumbsup.gif
I only have the sulmtalers. The others are my neighbors that I incubated for them. I do have 36 Bourbon Red Turkey eggs hatching on Wednesday. I hope that I can get a good hatch on those. Again I am just hoping for at least 1/2.

Nice looking chicks by the way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom