March 2017! Hatch with us!

I told myself I was going to take a break too, but had a customer come and buy all the little chicks I had, and she reallllly wants some SDW OEGBs, so I loaded the Octagon 20 with 36 eggs last night!
big_smile.png
Seramas and SDWs.

Oh and I have 19 lav orp eggs locked down last night. From 22 set, 2 clear, one quitter. Not too shabby!
Lavender Orps are so pretty, and it sounds like you are going to have a good hatch.

Very cute little baby!:love  Do all your Ameraucana/RIR cross chicks have that same look?  Will they be Easter Eggers? I'm still trying to figure all this out.

I only have 2 but one has darker markings than the other. I also hatched a red sex link chick. They should be Easter eggers but the Rhode island gene might be dominant so they might lay Brown eggs. Also depends on if they're actually girls or not
1f60a.png

I have some good news and bad news. I have over thirty eggs hatched of my neighbors 60 with many still hatching. The thing is my eggs aren't hatching well!!!!!!!
9/30 of my sulmtaler eggs are pipped an one is out. 3 of them are very active but aren't making progress. I think that one might even be dead but almost all the way zipped. Should I help them out right now? I would need to pull out the whole tray with my gqf so I believe that all of my eggs would suffer. Currently I am planning to wait till tomorrow morning but if there is a way to not harm the other eggs I would be grateful.
I just need some help PLEASE.

I have some good news and bad news. I have over thirty eggs hatched of my neighbors 60 with many still hatching. The thing is my eggs aren't hatching well!!!!!!!
9/30 of my sulmtaler eggs are pipped an one is out. 3 of them are very active but aren't making progress. I think that one might even be dead but almost all the way zipped. Should I help them out right now? I would need to pull out the whole tray with my gqf so I believe that all of my eggs would suffer. Currently I am planning to wait till tomorrow morning but if there is a way to not harm the other eggs I would be grateful.
What day is this for the Sulmtalers? 20? 21?

I would try a little tapping and talking to them. I'm hoping the almost-zipped one will peep back.
fl.gif

Last edited:

In a regular tabletop incubator, I'd be in there helping. If they don't zip or at least stay active in about an hour, then its struggling.

BUT with a big cabinet, and that many eggs, I think I'd be more inclined to wait it out and hope for the best.

Is it possible to shine your light and get some other chicks over to it to get it motivated? Sometimes that helps.

Tough call you have to make. :fl

Truly one of the hardest parts about incubating is when/if to intervene... I agonize over these types of situations. The first thing to think about is whether the incubator conditions have been correct (esp humidity, keeping it high) and whether the chick can breathe in its current situation. If both of those are a thumbs up, I don't intervene. Also, if intervening will cause harm to the other hatchlings (dropping humidity), then don't intervene. If, however, the humidity got messed up and the chick seems stuck, and you won't be harming the others by the drop in humidity when you open the bator to grab the egg in question, then I would intervene. Sometimes, though, assisting one chick leads to the necessity of assisting them all... I've been in that ugly position, where I've caused a cascade of stuck chicks because I opened the incubator to help one. I've also been in the great situation where I helped one when no one else was zipping or had large enough pip holes to be affected by my opening the bator, with a happy result at the end. I will pray you make the right decision at the right time!! :hugs

I had to open it and help out the eggs. There was no way that they were getting out, most of the other eggs were done so it didn't harm much. Now there are 6 more chicks out and about, all but 1 seem fine.
I think that it was a humidity problem even though the other 2 breeds hatched out fine. Does anybody have any idea why some breeds need more humidity than others?
It also could have been because the eggs were too small and that they are first year hens. I'll get a final update tomorrow with pictures.

Shell quality of different breeds makes some hard to hatch together. Really dark, dense shells need less humidity than light or porous shells. Even different hens that are together, same breeds, can lay eggs that are much different. Unfortunately we have to learn what each of them needs and adjust as we go.

Eta - forgot to say great job MountainBourbons on getting them out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom