March 2017! Hatch with us!

I want to get back into bees I had at one time 20 hives and loved it but because of my late wife's illness I had to let them go and take care of her but the ABC & XYZ of beekeeping book recomends bees and chickens because of the care times for each is different enough that they work in harmony
20?! Holy moly!

Exactly! My back is killing me! Ignore that my fence is falling down! That's getting fixed tomorrow!

Before:

I'm also getting bees early April, here's one of the boxes I painted:

WOW! That looks fantastic!! :thumbsup

Last edited:
They're all set! The air cells were not floating, just a little wiggly, so I decided to lay these eggs on their sides.
Yes, I name my eggs.
smile.png
It helps me cheer them on.

Because it's a "March" hatch, my four EEs are called Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy (the March sisters from Little Women). I already have a 'Meg' in my flock, short for Nutmeg, but we'll deal with that after hatching.

On the EE / Araucana /Ameraucauna topic... Papa's Poultry has a pen where he mixes true Ameraucanas and EEs, so the chicks could end up as either, but he only markets them as EEs. It's more likely that a seller will pass off an EE as an Ameraucana or Araucana, don't you think?

Those are very pretty eggs. I'm happy to hear the air cells got to where they need to be! Are they set in the bator yet? What is the expected hatch date?

I want to get back into bees I had at one time 20 hives and loved it but because of my late wife's illness I had to let them go and take care of her but the ABC & XYZ of beekeeping book recomends bees and chickens because of the care times for each is different enough that they work in harmony
That is one of the biggest problems I have with my city - not only do they ban roosters, but you need to have close to 5 acres before you can have bees. I would set up a hive anyway, but I have tenants in the second house on my property that are allergic. They do fly over's the city to check on compliance for many things, so I'd have to disguise the hive, if I did set one up.

That's awful! My city doesn't have any bee regulations, except a nuisance ordinance... Mainly if you don't provide water they'll congregate in the neighbors pool...

That is one of the biggest problems I have with my city  - not only do they ban roosters, but you need to have close to 5 acres before you can have bees.  I would set up a hive anyway, but I have tenants in the second house on my property that are allergic.  They do fly over's the city to check on compliance for many things, so I'd have to disguise the hive, if I did set one up

That sucks but I can also somewhat see why they would do it, I'm terrified of bees and plenty others are allergic and in close quarters they may bother people. But they shouldn't have a law on it

20?! Holy moly!

Wasn't a big problem loved to mess with them once a week check a little intervention every once in a while and lots of sweet honey! I got about 30-35 gallons a year for me and had stores enough to winter them good it's the start up is the worst but when you have up to 5-6 hives it gets so much easier especally at honey harvest time. It's good to have the equipment then you do it in stages and not doing it as it comes one at a time that would be hell. Oh Rossmans apiaries is one of the best suppliers of Cyprus hives they last forever!!

Back
Top Bottom