March 2017! Hatch with us!

Yea my nickname is not normally male but was my chickens handle I've had for years and a lot better than the other one lol I'm glad I know now I'm going to try to hatch some along with my neext batch and WV if I get enough I might just send you some!!

Yea my nickname is not normally male but was my chickens handle I've had for years and a lot better than the other one lol I'm glad I know now I'm going to try to hatch some along with my neext batch and WV if I get enough I might just send you some!!

Haha! Is there a clean version of your other one? :D

Golden comets are mixes, so do you mean you are gonna hatch some of their eggs? I always thought they didn't breed true, but since you have a male too, maybe they do! I never had a comet male. Mine always had brahma roos with them. Now they have a frizzled bantam cochin rooster! :gig

I
have a sweet little Dutch bantam that is on a clutch of eggs now so I would have no problem with a sitter for some silkies and my incubator has plenty of room! I went overboard when I found a 96 egg incubator for less than a smaller one
Am I reading correctly that you're interested in silkie eggs? I have never shipped eggs, never received shipped eggs so I am clueless on the proper/safe procedure. On the other hand, if you could walk me thru the process, first by typing/pm'ing a list of supplies I'd need for the shipping, then (probably by phone would be better so we can talk as I assemble the package) hold my hand while I do it, I'd be more than happy to give it a try. I would be afraid to disappoint if I just tried to wing it by inventing my own shipping process. I'm sure there are tried and proven methods that you can tell me about.
Maybe we could trade eggs (when my silkie goes back into brood-mode she'll sit on anything!).

There's a thread here somewhere of good shipping/packing practices. I've had good and bad experiences with shipped eggs. Most of the ones I've shipped have done fairly well. Good packing is a must, since the post office is a huge crap shoot on how they get handled.

Oh crap! I forgot to add water! My humidity has been around 20-26%

I think you're not to give electrolytes for more than 3 days at a time...
Thanks for that info too. Yesterday was the 1st day I gave the too-strong mix. Today is is almost all water. Do you thin it's best to just replace it tomorrow with normal (non-added) water? I think so, but added knowledge from others helps me a lot.

Exactly! My back is killing me! Ignore that my fence is falling down! That's getting fixed tomorrow!

Before:

I'm also getting bees early April, here's one of the boxes I painted:

That looks great. I can only imagine the effort you put in. Did you really do that in 1 day? Seems impossible! Are the after photos the product of a much longer work-span?
I'm fascinated by bees and be keeping. Wherever that subject is supposed to go, if you can remember PLEASE "tag me" (FB terminology since I don't now what it's called here) to make me aware to read your posts on the bee keeping adventure!

Oh dear... I am so sorry! I know in the chicken world we 'stiff upper lip' everything, but loss is loss is loss, and dang it, it still is not very fun. I sometimes wonder if I'm cut out for the farming lifestyle, and then I go out and spend a day in the sun, cleaning coops, working on building, expanding, replacing stuff and think, "Okay, this is still good."
Yes, OUCH.

That is one of the biggest problems I have with my city - not only do they ban roosters, but you need to have close to 5 acres before you can have bees. I would set up a hive anyway, but I have tenants in the second house on my property that are allergic. They do fly over's the city to check on compliance for many things, so I'd have to disguise the hive, if I did set one up.
Oh geez, really now. You'd think that there are better things to look for if spending money on fly-overs...like drug dealers near schools? Robberies? Muggings? But BEES? What the heck? (sorry my opinion got out of my mouth before I could stop it)

Back
Top Bottom