March 2017! Hatch with us!

We have been talking a lot about the auto sexing genetics of Cream Legbars, and so I thought I'd post the pics a breeder sent me to help clarify. Basically, females will have very clearly defined chipmunk markings. The boys may have a stripe, be solid light colored or a combination, with or without a head spot.
Males

Females

Thank you for that. That clears things up a bit in my mind. I was thinking only females had the stripe.

N
We have been talking a lot about the auto sexing genetics of Cream Legbars, and so I thought I'd post the pics a breeder sent me to help clarify. Basically, females will have very clearly defined chipmunk markings. The boys may have a stripe, be solid light colored or a combination, with or without a head spot.
Males

Females
ow I know why my bantams are mistaken for legbars lol I have have sexlinks that have the dots on their head also

N
ow I know why my bantams are mistaken for legbars lol I have have sexlinks that have the dots on their head also

A lot of chicks have similar markings and some folks think the chipmunk stripe is always female, no matter the breed - but it's not. Similarly, the head spot on all breeds isn't always indicative of male (for example all barred rock chicks have a head spot).

Last edited:
A lot of chicks have similar markings and some folks think the chipmunk stripe is always female, no matter the breed - but it's not. Similarly, the head spot on all breeds isn't always indicative of male (for example all barred rock chicks have a head spot).

That's true I never had a male Dutch hen so I can't tell and I don't remember what the partridge Cochin looked like so I'll have to wait there but my sexlinks are that way my buffs are not

Males

Females
Super helpful, Orr! Thank you! Waiting (not-so) patiently for any pipping or peeping . . . end of day 19! One CL egg in the bator . . . hoping to meet a little chipmunk soon!

Back
Top Bottom