March 2017! Hatch with us!

I heard a peeper and saw an empty egg under my broody this morning! The egg was still moist, so I didn't bother her too much to see the chick. still a bit chilly outside. But I could hear at least one!!
ya.gif

And I moved all 23 Call duck eggs to the hatcher this morning. Some have already drawn down. 100% fertility, and 100% to the hatcher. I'm not expecting 100% hatch rate (Calls are difficult!) but I can dream.
fl.gif

I put the Welshies down last night. Hovabator is doing great. Temp and humidity holding steady unlike that Farm Innovations bator that I constantly had to fight with. I guess I could say it did alright but I now know it must be monitored carefully. No temp spikes in it...just struggled to maintain humidity. :(

@orrpeople thanks for the info on the CCL, and that is what I was expecting. However, the chicks I got in this hatch were not really clear cut. The ones from my hatch last month were easily sexed. I'm going to do another hatch this summer and if this continues change up the birds.

I think this is my last chick from this hatch. I discovered that my iPhone flashlight is very good for candling and eliminated 18 out of the 25 last night. There "might" be 2 more but I'm not seeing any movement. I'll leave them in the incubator for another day while I'm waiting for some shipped eggs.

I think this is my last chick from this hatch. I discovered that my iPhone flashlight is very good for candling and eliminated 18 out of the 25 last night. There "might" be 2 more but I'm not seeing any movement. I'll leave them in the incubator for another day while I'm waiting for some shipped eggs.
Hmm I didn't think of that I'm on an iphone

I heard a peeper and saw an empty egg under my broody this morning! The egg was still moist, so I didn't bother her too much to see the chick. still a bit chilly outside. But I could hear at least one!!
ya.gif

And I moved all 23 Call duck eggs to the hatcher this morning. Some have already drawn down. 100% fertility, and 100% to the hatcher. I'm not expecting 100% hatch rate (Calls are difficult!) but I can dream.
fl.gif
My broodies are day 18. I have no idea how I'll check under 4 hens to see broken eggs, but I suppose I will hear peeping! It's been in the 90's for weeks. They get close to hatching and be in the 60's until NEXT Tuesday. Mid 40's for the nights. Why couldn't those babies have nice sauna conditions? Good luck with your Calls!!!! What do you have under your broody again? How many eggs did you give her?

I put the Welshies down last night. Hovabator is doing great. Temp and humidity holding steady unlike that Farm Innovations bator that I constantly had to fight with. I guess I could say it did alright but I now know it must be monitored carefully. No temp spikes in it...just struggled to maintain humidity.
sad.png
Good luck with the hatch! I hope the new bator does it's job!!

Go Chickies Go! And Go Duckies Go!!!

My broodies are day 18. I have no idea how I'll check under 4 hens to see broken eggs, but I suppose I will hear peeping! It's been in the 90's for weeks. They get close to hatching and be in the 60's until NEXT Tuesday. Mid 40's for the nights. Why couldn't those babies have nice sauna conditions? Good luck with your Calls!!!! What do you have under your broody again? How many eggs did you give her?

Good luck with the hatch! I hope the new bator does it's job!!

Go Chickies Go! And Go Duckies Go!!!

This is Broody #1. Harriett is an OEGB, but I gave her 7 Serama eggs. I listened this morning and heard peeping, then stuck my finger under her breast and felt the edge of half an egg shell. Pulled it out and it was still moist. Felt under one wing, and heard more chirping, but didn't want to disturb her too much. We got down to around 40 last night, and it was still cold when I checked on her. I can't wait to leave work and see what has happened!

Broody #2 is my oldest chocolate orpington Mocha - her flockmate hens are much smaller than she is, and she is sitting on 15 of their eggs. (I gave her 8, she gathered 11 more before I got her blocked off from them, I took 4 away one evening, ones that I could tell were new. They are due this Saturday, and probably a few stragglers after that, since she collected for a few more days.

Broody #3 started at the same time as Mocha, was an exchequer serama, but she quit on day 14. Another one "pretended" to start around that time, so I gave her the eggs, but she left them too, so they all died.

Broody #4 is a black serama. I think she is about a week in. I forgot what day I finally let her keep eggs, and I think she is on 8 eggs.

So yes, not even the end of March, and I have 4 broodies already! At least maybe they will start laying again before the summer is over!
cool.png

@orrpeople thanks for the info on the CCL, and that is what I was expecting. However, the chicks I got in this hatch were not really clear cut. The ones from my hatch last month were easily sexed. I'm going to do another hatch this summer and if this continues change up the birds.

Possibility of a mix breed? They both look like males to me, but pic is a little fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom