March hatch along

Hi Conchis, wondering how your hatch is coming along. I candled my 8 Ameracaunas last night, day 8, and all were looking good, just swimming around in their little shells. :yesss:

Well, I couldn't stand not knowing.  I candled an egg and found no movement so I carefully opened the egg to do an eggtopsy and found a fully formed but dead chick in one of my Ameraucana eggs.  It had never pipped and I'm certain that the power going out while I was at work when their day twenty began had to have been the culprit.  I'll still leave the rest in the bator for a couple of days just to be certain that there is no one in there that can make it (All but two are Marans eggs so they'd be to dark to candle) just in case.  

Too bad.  It was a lovely black little chick.
I am really sorry to hear that... I will keep my fingers crossed that some survived somehow. Were these eggs from your flock or were they pirchased ?

I sanitized my entire incubator yesterday, Got new batteries for my thermometers and humidity gages, i got a dimmer switch for my fan though didnt install that since the wiring is pretty complex already and i dint have time to really think the schematics through. I have a fan, a main thermostat, a back-up thermostat, a dimmer for the heating element and the heating element all on the same circuit . I dont want the new dimmer to effect the thermostats and think i would have to rewire the whole thing to do it . Maybe next time ... Anyway, the six chicks from the prior hatch are doing well and i just set 12 lavender /split lavender ameraucana eggs last night.

Here is a (poor) picture of the six chicks... 3 black ameraucanas, 2 lavender ameraucanas and 1 BCM.

Here is a (poor) picture of the six chicks... 3 black ameraucanas, 2 lavender ameraucanas and 1 BCM.
Cute!!!

I keep saying I can't wait for babies, but think I've heard "peep, peep" a few times from the 'bator today. It's only day 16 - eek! I can wait! Hope all is okay in there. Might have to take out the turner and candle tonight.

Candled for the night. For the most part everything looks good. Some things I don't have good feelings about, though. There is at least one silkie egg that looks underdeveloped. A lot more open space in there compared to the others. Like this:

I know that's obviously not normal, but there is still movement. I just hope it's stopped by the time I have to eggtopsy! Ugh.

Here is a good silkie egg though. Can you tell what color they are when you candle, do you think, because everything in here looks black, not just because the egg is full but stuff I can see looks black, lol.

Lastly, here are a couple shots of some air cells, one Marans and one AM. Too late now but these are two out of several that I think look small. I'll see how things progress through the week though.

Hey all! Since there are 2 March Hatch-A-Longs I thought I'd post to both! Have 73 quail eggs in the bator right now, candled last night (day 3) and 43 had for sure veining! The other 30 either had nothing yet or were way too hard to see into. Happy hatching everyone!!!

Wow! 73 quail! Oh my gosh! I'd like to see pictures of you candling those tiny little eggs!

I had a stinker today, took it out. It never did show any signs of development and today it was VERY dark. I believe this is from infection causing the egg membrane to become thicker? Anyone ever really learned what happens when an egg goes bad?

Back
Top Bottom