Mareks disease dilemma...

zagmum

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2017
Clovis, California
How easy is it to transfer mareks disease from property to property. I want to go visit my sister but her flock has been affected by mareks disease. She only has 3 hens left out of her flock. If I go visit her and spend time on her property how likely is it that I can then transfer Mareks back to my property and risk my flock? If changed clothes before returning home, changed shoes, and stay away from her chickens will that be ok?

Hello again zagmum [I said hello on your introduction]

The Mareks virus is primarily spread by dander [dead skin cells] from other birds. However, I believe it can be transported in cages and on car tyres, clothing and boots.

I would definitely stay away from the chickens and also park my car away from where the chickens wander, plus take a change of clothes and only wear a pair of shoes you are happy to leave behind or use disposable shoe covers. I definitely would not bring anything home with me that had any chance of carrying dander and would be stopping at a car wash on the way home.

Having said that, because I am paranoid about my small flock of spoiled pet bantams, I would probably not visit my sister or let her visit me, opting to Skype or meet at a coffee shop etc instead
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom