Mareks Vaccine

What evidence is there that the vaccine is 'helpful or useful'?
What are the effects of the vaccine? And, is it in the chicks best interests to get the vaccine?

What are the pros of the vaccine?
What are the cons of the vaccine?

What research has been documented on these vaccines? Is there any documentation, or is it all theory?

What evidence is there to support the vaccine?
And what evidence is there in all about the vaccine?

Finally, are we really doing are chicks the best giving them a vaccine? Please express your opinion!

I have a big worry. My husband bought me 2 Royal Palm hens and it's possible they have been exposed to Mareks. How can I find out? Apparently, the lady he bought them from just happened to throw out the fact that at one time she had Mareks on her property. He didn't know the significance of that and when he called to find out how long ago that was, the answer he got was that it only affects very young birds.

Those two are in quarantine and all of my chickens outside are older than 5 months but I have babies in the house and hatching.

Please do not worry. Mareks is everywhere. Once your chick breathes it is exposed to Mareks.

It is always good practice to keep birds new to your property in quarantine, both for the new birds' sake and for the sake of your own birds.

As far as I know the turkey version of the Mareks virus cannot cause Mareks in chickens. The turkey Mareks virus used to be used to vaccinate chickens against Mareks disease.

You might contact your state vet or a college poultry center to ask questions. Mareks can last for months or years on property, but there is no set answer. Turkeys don't get Mareks according to most links, but there have been reports of it being found in some foreign countries. I really get that you would be concerned, but I am not smart enough to know the answer if they could carry it. At least the seller was honest about having had MD once, since a lot of people probably buy birds who are carriers, who can potentially give it to others. You could try calling the seller to see if they would take them back.

Last edited:
In early May I ordered 8 4-6 week old Juveniles from a hatchery who had been Marek's vaccinated at hatch. Our property is full of Marek's disease, so I figured ordering older ones would be better since they'd have time to build immunity before coming to my property. Well, I've had them for a month and a half, and a few of them are showing signs of illness (one pullet walks with a limp but otherwise she is fine, one has respiratory symptoms, and one is showing gradual leg and wing weakness/paralysis. I'm feeling a bit discouraged by now, as I was hoping the vaccine would have been more effective than it's showing to be so far. Has anyone else experienced this, and how many chickens did you lose and how many survived?

Back
Top Bottom