MARSH ROLL-X AUTOMATIC INCUBATOR

Rhonda, I also had trouble getting my humidity up. I finally inserted sponges in the bottom and this worked for me. Put the sponges in the first or second watering tray where they will stay moist throughout the lockdown. I hope you had a good hatch.

I have also found that the customer service representatives at Lyons are extremely helpful. I had one lady give me her personal cell phone number to assist me on a Saturday, as we were having trouble just getting my hygrometer to read (kept drying out) and I was in a state of panic over possibly burning up my babies inside the eggs. The resolution was applying a lock-tie to my wick on the hygrometer. Pretty simple, but we couldn't figure it out forever!

I own this identical incubator and it just crashed three weeks ago. The temperature during lockdown shot up to over 115. I was able to save most of my pullets, but was pretty traumatic.  Decided to attempt another hatch and in two days after setting the eggs, the temperature shot up to over 115 again and killed anything living in the eggs. Don't know if the wafer is going out or if I need to replace the thermostat. Love this incubator and could use any guidance on how to repair this unit. I have contacted Lyons directly, but they no longer employ a technician and the customer service representatives (although very nice and helpful) are not knowledgeable on troubleshooting for repairs.  Thank you!

Do you have the model with both an electronic thermostat and a wafer thermostat?

I also own this model and it is equipped with a wafer (backup) and a thermostat- The thermostat runs the heating element and the wafer backs up ( during malfunction) I would say that -thru your problems the main thermostat is bad. I had a very difficult time originally getting my wafer to adjust to the correct temp of 100 deg ...so i mainly just left it very very low temp and then regulated the Main Thermostat. I do know that the Themostats can be purchased thru the instructional brochure- from the company. My brochure also instructs you how to assemble the thermostat. and there might be an instructional YOUTUBE video ?? If you would like me to copy my brochure for you I can scan it and email it to you -would that help ?
and Also SOOOO sorry about your littles and your hatches...So sad !
let me know ?
Good Luck
Rhonda

Last edited:
No model number it is just a Marsh Roll-X (one of the first made, I think). I'll post photo of the inside of the unit. The first photo is the top turned upside down: wafer is in the bottom right corner, some right rectangle element just above the wafer, and then center bottom another rectangle type thing that wires to to. The fan works perfect.

Front side of the top. Thank you!

No model number it is just a Marsh Roll-X (one of the first made, I think). I'll post photo of the inside of the unit. The first photo is the top turned upside down: wafer is in the bottom right corner, some right rectangle element just above the wafer, and then center bottom another rectangle type thing that wires to to. The fan works perfect. Front side of the top. Thank you!
Ok so you don't have the electronic thermostat. If your getting up to 115 degrees either you have a bad wafer or the snap switch (little rectangular brown/black box under the wafer) is sticking. Probably need to replace both. You can order at www.lyonusa.com

I attempted to purchase the wafer and snap switch from Lyons today, but they said that California has passed a law that the incubator has to be grounded now due to the water/electrical shock. So, I have to mail my incubator top into them. I have a first generation Lyon Marsh X incubator. They will charge a $50 diagnosis fee, indicating what parts they will replace and the fee for parts. There will then be a $50 per hour labor fee. I would rather purchase the grounding cord from them and then replace and change out the wafer and switch that works with the new grounding cord myself. Sound like a rip off to me, but I am sure they know exactly what they are doing, although I think I could figure it out. So I have to decide which way to go, purchase an entirely new incubator top for $450 + tax and shipping or send it in to upgrade. Ugh. Wish I had more control over this. Thank you for your help.

I attempted to purchase the wafer and snap switch from Lyons today, but they said that California has passed a law that the incubator has to be grounded now due to the water/electrical shock. So, I have to mail my incubator top into them. I have a first generation Lyon Marsh X incubator. They will charge a $50 diagnosis fee, indicating what parts they will replace and the fee for parts. There will then be a $50 per hour labor fee. I would rather purchase the grounding cord from them and then replace and change out the wafer and switch that works with the new grounding cord myself. Sound like a rip off to me, but I am sure they know exactly what they are doing, although I think I could figure it out. So I have to decide which way to go, purchase an entirely new incubator top for $450 + tax and shipping or send it in to upgrade. Ugh. Wish I had more control over this. Thank you for your help.

I know of two other sources for parts for your incubator. I don't think either one will give you the California Law excuse.

www.cutlersupply.com

www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts and guidance. I'm ordering the two parts from Cutlersupply. Definitely worth the try!

Okay. I need help again. Wafer fits perfectly but switch does not. First photo is the old switch that I need to replace with two wires. Notice the difference between the old switch and the new switch (plug in type) switch. No one carries this old switch. How do I update my incubator to plug into the new switch? Is that possible?

New switch:

Back
Top Bottom