MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

my hubby made the mistake of getting me an incubator so now I'm my own chick store.
lau.gif
That is sooo true!!!

My broodies are really grumpy.  I busted them tonight sitting on eggs after dark..  Threw their butts in a cage.  Don't need the guess work of which is good to eat and which is developing in to a chicken...People get unhappy with 1/2 started eggs....
so I set white marans and wheaten marans tonight.
Darn old hens made me do it......

Mine is ready to give up being she is setting on turkey eggs

My eggies go into lockdown tomorrow too!
fl.gif

Day 7 today and we candled the eggs for the first time. Looks like 5/7 have something going on although we're not sure if one has a blood ring or not. Will continue to watch it. Sadly the two eggs from our white rock look unfertile. Do blood rings develop on the side of an egg, or around the circumference? This is my first experience with hatching eggs done in not quite sure.
they are around where the embryo is laying in there, so could be anywhere

Well, with heart pounding I took up the flashlight after we got home from Cody tonight. I was so torn between wanting to know and just not wanting to look!! My track record ain't so hot - 3 chicks out of 39 eggs in 2 separate hatches, so I was more than a little apprehensive. I got 16 Silkie eggs shipped from @RubyNala97 and, true to form, managed to break one putting it in the incubator, so I have 15 in the Brinsea. This is the first egg I candled tonight (day 4) and this is what I saw. (Ignore that stripy thing....seems to be a artifact in the 2 photos I took tonight)

Now, that's pretty doggone exciting, but what's even better is that I have 13 more just like it in there!!!

These are shipped eggs, and it took them a few days to get here. She did a fabulous job gathering, storing, and shipping these eggs! It CAN be done!! I only have one egg that looks like this out of all of them:

Maybe, just maybe, this might finally be the hatch I can actually pull off!!
great images blooie!

We have external pips and lots of peeps coming from the bator. We should have chicks in the morning. One day early. My bator must run a degree hot.
awesome!!!

My broodies are really grumpy. I busted them tonight sitting on eggs after dark.. Threw their butts in a cage. Don't need the guess work of which is good to eat and which is developing in to a chicken...People get unhappy with 1/2 started eggs....
so I set white marans and wheaten marans tonight.
Darn old hens made me do it......
LOL dang hens always make us do things!!

First time incubating...put 18 eggs into a still air incubator yesterday (6 each of Ameracauna, Olive Egger, LF Cochin). Very nervous and some questions!

I didn't get the automatic egg turner, but now I want it. Would it be ok to get one today and put it in? Or will it disrupt things too much?
Also, and I posted this elsewhere, I'm struggling to keep the temp above 100 (read somewhere here it should be 102 in a still air). But then I read a cheat sheet about this particular incubator and I think it's not such a big deal in the first two days as it's stabilizing. But I think having the automatic egg turner would help? So much info on this site, but it's also very overwhelming. The woman who lent me the incubator, looked at me like I was insane when I said I had multiple thermometers. She said, 'it's just incubating eggs!' I'm hopeful that if she hatched successfully while not doing much, I will too by doing a little bit more!

Waiting for my 5 turkey eggs to show me some signs of life.. hatch date is supposed to be Friday.. My first time hatching turkeys I hope I got it right...They all 5 were fertile and developed so crossing my fingers...

Good Luck! We are hatching turkey eggs for the first time as well. A little over a week to go for us.
fl.gif

I sitting here watching week old chicks jumping up and down as a next door gosling sticks his head over the bin top....it is so cute to watch! Gosling is like a big dragon (sweet of course) and a brave lil chickie trying to jump up there to confront him!!

I set my D'Uccles and Bantam Polish Frizzles 36 hours ago...gonna be a long 3 weeks....

They are in the new incubator. Definitely a different design but you sure can see what is going on in there w/o opening it up!
I want a gosling someday, too cute! Good luck with your hatch.

my hubby made the mistake of getting me an incubator so now I'm my own chick store.
lol yeah I get "looks" when I'm collecting eggs and not putting them in the fridge! I don't think our bators have been empty since I turned them on in Feb. At least I'm not keeping the chicks, well not ALL of them anyways haha

Day 7 today and we candled the eggs for the first time. Looks like 5/7 have something going on although we're not sure if one has a blood ring or not. Will continue to watch it. Sadly the two eggs from our white rock look unfertile. Do blood rings develop on the side of an egg, or around the circumference? This is my first experience with hatching eggs done in not quite sure.
I had an egg last time that I was 100% sure was a bloodring. It had a small red line all the way around the egg. I didn't see movement. We ended up taking it out. My daughter cracked it open to see what it looked like, and the little chick was still alive
sad.png
So now I don't take them out unless we a well into the hatch and there is no development.

Well, with heart pounding I took up the flashlight after we got home from Cody tonight. I was so torn between wanting to know and just not wanting to look!! My track record ain't so hot - 3 chicks out of 39 eggs in 2 separate hatches, so I was more than a little apprehensive. I got 16 Silkie eggs shipped from @RubyNala97 and, true to form, managed to break one putting it in the incubator, so I have 15 in the Brinsea. This is the first egg I candled tonight (day 4) and this is what I saw. (Ignore that stripy thing....seems to be a artifact in the 2 photos I took tonight)

Now, that's pretty doggone exciting, but what's even better is that I have 13 more just like it in there!!!

These are shipped eggs, and it took them a few days to get here. She did a fabulous job gathering, storing, and shipping these eggs! It CAN be done!! I only have one egg that looks like this out of all of them:

Maybe, just maybe, this might finally be the hatch I can actually pull off!!
great pics!

We have external pips and lots of peeps coming from the bator. We should have chicks in the morning. One day early. My bator must run a degree hot.
Yay! Good luck

Update: 3 hatched-

2 rocks and 1 silkie.
4 are pipped, and 11 are showing no movement yet.
They certainly got rolled around last night when the first 2 rocks came out!
I'm really glad that I have to work today, so I will be forced to leave the incubator alone! Sitting on my hands. :)
jumpy.gif
Good luck

Is that bottom one was it starting to form looks like a red vein in the bottom corner of the egg
Yeah, not sure what's up with that one - it looks totally different than the other 13.
Sweet! Nice looking eggs! Cody? That's only a few hours away from me! I feel excited that I'm not 300 miles from the closest person on here. Woot!
Got your PM...thanks for that! We are close - do most of our major shopping up there when I have to go to St. Vs for medical stuff.

Congrats!!
I candled on day nine (I think) and only saw six veining and a blood ring. Now I can't see one with a blood ring, and nine are doing well.
I'm just going to keep an eye on that one rather than just arbitrarily pulling it. Strange things can happen inside those eggs, that's for sure!

I'm in the same boat. I've currently got 10 broodies either sitting or with chicks. I think it's time to build another coop, as every extra coop I have is filled at the moment with chicks and/or broodies. And I have another 6 hens that have decided to go broody recently. I've resisted setting them on anything. so far.
Ah, a broody - now there's a pipe dream I keep having over and over again.

here is pictures of chicks I assisted in hatch
3 brahmas, 2 wheaten marans and ameruacana. two were pipped and dying out, 3 no pips . I pipped them 2 were ready, 1 bled but but it back in bator for 12 hours and it got out of shell by its self.....

Lockdown is tomorrow for me for 1/2 of my eggs. Gotta get the hatcher cleaned up today. I also get to candle my second set of eggs today. Day 7 already?!

Got them ready to go into the incubator this afternoon.

133 of them.

Break down:
7 Polish/Turken cross. 4 green 3 brown. From another breeder with blood from my flock.
12 Green Egger Naked Neck from a breeder with some blood from my flock.
29 from Cinnamon rooster/ various hens.
22 from Golden Partridge rooster/ various hens
27 from Red Mottled rooster red and barred hens.
10 from Spangled Aloha over Mottled Partridge and Silver hens.
6 Green Egger Naked Neck my Flock from Blue Cream Partridge NN.
8 from Blue Cream Partridge NN rooster over a Black NN hen. Brown eggs.
12 from a Mottled Partridge rooster over various hens (3).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom