MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Ok so update here!
Today I set my 16 Silkie/sizzle/frilkee eggs + 7 more eggs from my best Serama pairs (couldn't resist)
I have 2 eggs under a Broody on day 16 doing great
I also have 7 more eggs under another broody on day 8 (tossed 2 clears)

Twenty-three quails out, one about to hatch, one more DIS. Nineteen more eggs to go. Twenty-two of those twenty-three were dry, so I put them in the brooder. No chicklits yet and my temps hit 102 for who knows how long while I was at work. I have a thermo-hydrometer in each corner and three read 102F and the fourth said 100F. It's a still air, so not too bad I guess, but still. Hopefully I didn't just fry a bunch of babies :/

Twenty-three quails out, one about to hatch, one more DIS. Nineteen more eggs to go. Twenty-two of those twenty-three were dry, so I put them in the brooder. No chicklits yet and my temps hit 102 for who knows how long while I was at work. I have a thermo-hydrometer in each corner and three read 102F and the fourth said 100F. It's a still air, so not too bad I guess, but still. Hopefully I didn't just fry a bunch of babies :/

Oh No. I hope everything is okay with the chicks and you have a successful hatch.

Quote:
cause I dont want to take the time if I cant win nuttin lol
Day 20 and 3 of the 27 have hatched so far-they are so cute!!
PICS PICS!!! CONGRATS!

Hi there! I just hatched out 3 lil australorps out of 6 that I set in 4/17 and am cleaning out my homemade incubator to set a dozen more! Prayers that this batch does at least as well as the last!

I'm so totally excited that this incubator worked, I wanna set a batch as soon as a batch comes out, lol. Anyone else feel the same? lol ... I've been raising chickens for 6 years now as an adult and we had chickens most of my childhood, but we never incubated our own eggs. We just bought chicks from the co-op or pet store before, but man this is so much more rewarding.

Happy to read about everyone else's successes! Good luck to you all and wish us luck too for this hatch!
spankarelli!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!! and GOOD LUCK with the new batch!!!!!! it is amazing and addictive, sorta like fishing and only catching the fish on one good day lmao!!

Ok so update here!
Today I set my 16 Silkie/sizzle/frilkee eggs + 7 more eggs from my best Serama pairs (couldn't resist)
I have 2 eggs under a Broody on day 16 doing great
I also have 7 more eggs under another broody on day 8 (tossed 2 clears)
GOOD LUCK SWEETS!!!

awwwwwwww come on littles!!!

My broody hen is a new momma today! She is sitting on 10 Guinea eggs. Saw two keets peeking out. Way early from what I thought should be hatch day, but there they are. We'll see how many others hatch and if she can raise any successfully. First time I've done this. Do you help at all by taking out the egg shells or just leave her be for a while? I don't want the ants to come.

My broody hen is a new momma today! She is sitting on 10 Guinea eggs. Saw two keets peeking out. Way early from what I thought should be hatch day, but there they are. We'll see how many others hatch and if she can raise any successfully. First time I've done this. Do you help at all by taking out the egg shells or just leave her be for a while? I don't want the ants to come.

Good girl!! congrats!! not sure about ants sorry

Do you usually have an ant problem? I've never noticed ants or mice in the broody's area.

My Bielefelder eggs arrived! One seems to have a rolling air cell & one has a tiny hairline crack, but the others are all ok. Should I do anything with the cracked one? I think I read before about people painting them with nail polish? That one will be going in the incubator anyway I think.

I am planning to put 6 in the incubator & 6 under the broody hen tomorrow.

My Bielefelder eggs arrived! One seems to have a rolling air cell & one has a tiny hairline crack, but the others are all ok. Should I do anything with the cracked one?  I think I read before about people painting them with nail polish? That one will be going in the incubator anyway I think.

I am planning to put 6 in the incubator & 6 under the broody hen tomorrow. 
People have tried wax or nail polish.

Last edited:
I am so excited! I have 6 out so far, out of 27, and they aren't actually due to hatch till tomorrow night!
How long do you usually leave your chicks in the incubator?
I don't want to have to leave them in 24+ hrs but also want to make sure I don't dry out the pipped eggs. (I keep reading if I grab them quickly, wet the sponges again, and close back up that the humidity should jump back up?)
The first hatched chick has now been in there 8-9 hrs and still not dried off....humidity jumped to 75% as the chicks hatch.

Back
Top Bottom