MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I have Celiac so about 6 years ago I had to start eating gluten free.... I hated it I missed "regular" food as I called it. Now a lot of improvements have been made and there are some gluten free foods that taste like my old 'regular' food and not cardboard.
smile.png
My brother had Celiac growing up, so we struggled all the time. Now there are so many other people (besides Celiacs) that go Gluten Free, that it's so much better!! Most restaurants now have gluten free menu items - which I would hesitate in trusting, since you have no idea what the stuff is cooked WITH. Stores have aisles of gluten free food. It's so different now than it was 30 years ago. I'm sorry that you are struggling with it, it's not fun!

My son Kenny is the deli manager at the local deli. Man, can that kid cook - always has been able to cook and he loves it. So one day he found out that one of the checkers hasn't eaten fried chicken since she was 6 years old, and she's in her late 50s now. Lots of things she hasn't eaten in years because of her Celiac. So he started just asking people at random how they'd feel about some gluten free items in the deli. He was stunned at the response.

So he started doing some research. He has come up with a coating for his fried chicken that is gluten free. He even researched spices (he didn't know if any of them had gluten but if they did, he wasn't using them). He got the boss man to install another fryer. That fryer will never have any gluten containing products cooked in it. He did some sample chickens, each with slightly different seasonings in the coating, trying to get it just right, and he said the work was worth it when Susan bit into her first piece of chicken in that many years. Other checkers came over to try samples and are so enthused and excited.

So launch is next Monday. He knows that he'll have to maintain a tight eye on things to make sure there is never any cross-contamination and that the taste is always there, but he can do it. I'm really proud of him!

Edited to add: Sorry for the hijack...just thought this was really neat.

Last edited:
My son Kenny is the deli manager at the local deli.  Man, can that kid cook - always has been able to cook and he loves it.  So one day he found out that one of the checkers hasn't eaten fried chicken since she was 6 years old, and she's in her late 50s now.  Lots of things she hasn't eaten in years because of her Celiac.  So he started just asking people at random how they'd feel about some gluten free items in the deli.  He was stunned at the response.

So he started doing some research.  He has come up with a coating for his fried chicken that is gluten free.  He even researched spices (he didn't know if any of them had gluten but if they did, he wasn't using them).  He got the boss man to install another fryer.  That fryer will never have any gluten containing products cooked in it.  He did some sample chickens, each with slightly different seasonings in the coating, trying to get it just right, and he said the work was worth it when Susan bit into her first piece of chicken in that many years.  Other checkers came over to try samples and are so enthused and excited.

So launch is next Monday.  He knows that he'll have to maintain a tight eye on things to make sure there is never any cross-contamination and that the taste is always there, but he can do it. I'm really proud of him!

Edited to add:  Sorry for the hijack...just thought this was really neat.
That's awesome!!

My son Kenny is the deli manager at the local deli.  Man, can that kid cook - always has been able to cook and he loves it.  So one day he found out that one of the checkers hasn't eaten fried chicken since she was 6 years old, and she's in her late 50s now.  Lots of things she hasn't eaten in years because of her Celiac.  So he started just asking people at random how they'd feel about some gluten free items in the deli.  He was stunned at the response.

So he started doing some research.  He has come up with a coating for his fried chicken that is gluten free.  He even researched spices (he didn't know if any of them had gluten but if they did, he wasn't using them).  He got the boss man to install another fryer.  That fryer will never have any gluten containing products cooked in it.  He did some sample chickens, each with slightly different seasonings in the coating, trying to get it just right, and he said the work was worth it when Susan bit into her first piece of chicken in that many years.  Other checkers came over to try samples and are so enthused and excited.

So launch is next Monday.  He knows that he'll have to maintain a tight eye on things to make sure there is never any cross-contamination and that the taste is always there, but he can do it. I'm really proud of him!

Edited to add:  Sorry for the hijack...just thought this was really neat.

Oh, wow!!! :clap

No worries about hijacks- thems da fun part. :D
-Banti

Back
Top Bottom