MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I've got eggs under a broody that where given to me by cjwaldon. I put some in my Brinsea and will give them to her on lock down so she can raise them. They aren't due till June 14th. My little momma to be is doing very well. She was moved to an empty dog pen and we made her a big nice nest inside a dog house so her and her eggs stay dry and the pen is covered with chicken wire and a tarp to keep critters out as well as rain. Before the babies hatch I'll install some hardware cloth around the bottom so the chicks can't get out so they stay safe with their mom.

Quote: Thank you!
smile.png

Quote: Thank you!
smile.png

I've got eggs under a broody that where given to me by cjwaldon. I put some in my Brinsea and will give them to her on lock down so she can raise them. They aren't due till June 14th. My little momma to be is doing very well. She was moved to an empty dog pen and we made her a big nice nest inside a dog house so her and her eggs stay dry and the pen is covered with chicken wire and a tarp to keep critters out as well as rain. Before the babies hatch I'll install some hardware cloth around the bottom so the chicks can't get out so they stay safe with their mom.
thats great good luck!

Weeeeell im just squeezing in here at the end
1f609.png

My little indian runner mama had been laying on some eggs for about a week now in some ferns in our yard, so we just let her be since this was her first time. Sadly and totally my fault, she drowned when she fell into a fairly large tote that had been collecting water and couldnt get out on sunday
1f622.png
she was already quite small and since nesting she seemed to get weaker even though i saw her get up to eat and drink. After we buried her i raided the nest and put all 13 of the eggs in my little diy incubator and hoped for the best. Sunday evening i candled them and i could see heartbeats!! Comparing to pics, theyre around the 6-8 day mark. Ive only incubated chicks before so im hopig its somewhat similar! I have the temperature sorted but just wantes to confirm that the higher humidity number i see is for wet bulb testing? What is the actual number with a regular hydrometer? I dont have a fan if that means anything. As well, im only able to turn 3x a day... can this still work?

Thanks all
1f603.png

Weeeeell im just squeezing in here at the end
1f609.png

My little indian runner mama had been laying on some eggs for about a week now in some ferns in our yard, so we just let her be since this was her first time. Sadly and totally my fault, she drowned when she fell into a fairly large tote that had been collecting water and couldnt get out on sunday
1f622.png
she was already quite small and since nesting she seemed to get weaker even though i saw her get up to eat and drink. After we buried her i raided the nest and put all 13 of the eggs in my little diy incubator and hoped for the best. Sunday evening i candled them and i could see heartbeats!! Comparing to pics, theyre around the 6-8 day mark. Ive only incubated chicks before so im hopig its somewhat similar! I have the temperature sorted but just wantes to confirm that the higher humidity number i see is for wet bulb testing? What is the actual number with a regular hydrometer? I dont have a fan if that means anything. As well, im only able to turn 3x a day... can this still work?

Thanks all
1f603.png
Ah! You MADE it!! Glad to see that! I'm so sorry about your duck. My daughter raises them....totally in the house...all 22 of them. Yep, you read that right - 22 ducks in the house (no diapers) along with 2 pigeons (she calls them Rock Doves).

Last edited:
Ah!  You MADE it!!  Glad to see that!  I'm so sorry about your duck.  My daughter raises them....totally in the house...all 22 of them.  Yep, you read that right - 22 ducks in the house (no diapers) along with 2 pigeons (she calls them Rock Doves).

Holy crap! Lol my bf would **** bricks
1f605.png
1f605.png
1f605.png
its all good when theyre little but as soon as they able to move out, i get the glare of death lol

Holy crap! Lol my bf would **** bricks
1f605.png
1f605.png
1f605.png
its all good when theyre little but as soon as they able to move out, i get the glare of death lol
She's perfectly happy with things like they are. She started with Chester and Emma.....then she found Nappie and Annie (the pigeons) and rescued them. Soon Chester and Emma had some babies, and the next year they had some more babies! She had dog crates and when she claps her hands in the morning they all get into their "own" crates - (somehow they know which group goes in which crate) then she carries them outside for the afternoon to play in the pond and be ducks. When it's time for them to come in, she claps her hands again and back into the crates they go. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Chester and Nappie are best friends.....always hanging around on the arm of the chair and sharing popcorn and a movie with my daughter or her SO. I don't know how she does it - place was always neat when we'd be back in town and I'd go over there. And the ducks are perfectly healthy - sleek and shiny and active, so they must not mind either. When she first got them, her SO built them a nice pen outdoors but a raccoon got in and just made mincemeat out of some of the ducks. Chester and Emma were left, and she brought them inside declaring that they were NOT living out there again! And they haven't!

Chester and Emma

Time for Chester and Emma to enjoy some mealworms after coming in from outside.

Chester's favorite toy..

Emma and her ducklings.

Hail, hail, the gang's all here!

Chester and Nappie on the arm of the chair.

Last edited:
She's perfectly happy with things like they are. She started with Chester and Emma.....then she found Nappie and Annie (the pigeons) and rescued them. Soon Chester and Emma had some babies, and the next year they had some more babies! She had dog crates and when she claps her hands in the morning they all get into their "own" crates - somehow they know which group goes in which crate) then she carries them outside for the afternoon to play in the pond and be ducks. When it's time for them to come in, she claps her hands again and back into the crates they go. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Chester and Nappie are best friends.....always hanging around on the arm of the chair and sharing popcorn and a moving with my daughter or her SO. I don't know how she does it - place was always neat when we'd be back in town and I'd go over there. And the ducks are perfectly healthy - sleek and shiny and active, so they must not mind either. When she first got them, her SO built them a nice pen outdoors but a raccoon got in and just made mincemeat out of some of the ducks. Chester and Emma were left, and she brought them inside declaring that they were NOT living out there again! And they haven't!

Chester and Emma

Time for Chester and Emma to enjoy some mealworms after coming in from outside.

Chester's favorite toy..

Emma and her ducklings.

Hail, hail, the gang's all here!

Chester and Nappie on the arm of the chair.
thats crazy!
though i would love to do it lol

Dont show @BantyChooks

Back
Top Bottom