May Hatch-a-Long!

Pics
Congrats on a fantastic hatch! They look fantastic.
smile.png
thank you! I can't stop staring at them... 100% of the time I'm at home lol
Sounds like you did very well with this hatch! After the next 6 hatch, how many more are you setting?

I have 42 chicks (incubator & hatchery combined) and I'm setting 4-5 more under the broody. I'd better not hatch any more.
I'm not sure, probably about a dozen or maybe 2 dozen. depends on how many are laid by my friend's hens! :) sounds like you have a full house too!
jumpy.gif

Wow! Very nice hatch! Can you tell me what the yellow "shelf" is for? Also, is the red light a flourescent heat bulb? I've never seen a red bulb like that.
The yellow thing is a Brinsea ecoglow, it's a heat panel so the black underside is warm to the touch. The yellow top is warm but not as hot, I cover it in clear contact paper to make the poop easy to clean, and then I put the shelf-liner from the hatcher on the Brinsea for good feet grip.

The red bulb isn't for heat, just for light. I also have a lamp in the room on with a regular white bulb, and windows open, the red one isnt super super bright but supposedly the red color lowers aggression(?) so that's why I use it!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Love the colors, especially the blues.

thank you!!!
wee.gif
it never gets old does it!

I can hear peeping! Argh the suspense is killing me
smile.png
I've seen 6 out of the 8 rocking around and can now hear peeping
smile.png
not long now I hope
smile.png
pop.gif
can't wait!

We are in the same boat!! Five out of six of mine are rocking and I heard one chirp this morning.

I have to will myself to walk away. Maybe I'll go check out the sale at TSC to distract myself. There are some cute tops on the website.
clap.gif
yay!

This morning I have 5 SL and 5 Tolbunt polish. So far so good!
ya.gif
congrats! love tolbunt polish, I want some :)

This hatch is officially done. 5/5 SL Polish and 7/8 Tolbunt. Plus the Polish/Marans egg that I found on the coop floor. It's doing fine too.

As soon as these fluffy butts dry off I can take pictures, then get ready for my next hatch. A dozen Tolbunt eggs are coming my way.
big_smile.png

This hatch is officially done.  5/5 SL Polish and 7/8 Tolbunt.  Plus the Polish/Marans egg that I found on the coop floor.  It's doing fine too. 

As soon as these fluffy butts dry off I can take pictures, then get ready for my next hatch.  A dozen Tolbunt eggs are coming my way.  :D

Ha. When I read this I was like "wait! Mine haven't hatched yet!"

Today is day 19 so I'm hoping for peepers in the next day or two!

Finished my Rouen eggs due 5-24. Ended with 5 new fluffs and 3 late death/non pipping eggs. Still puts overall Rouens at 12/16 so far this year. Still 8 in bator for next month. Broody BO decied to sit on a nest duck laid and most likely infertile. Will candle at 1 week and replace with chicken eggs if they are not fertile. She is covering 12 duck eggs w/o an issue. So I can fill her up with chicks.

Next due are my chicken eggs on the 30th. These are semi important to me (1 breed I won't have a rooster for and 1 other will be 4 mo. before I will have a chance to breed them again, pure that is.

I as perplexed on how to keep them sorted at hatch but I went with WLH & MP (Meat project) and the other hatcher is RIR and BSL. Both MP and BSL can have chicks that are barred/BSL colored. Although WLH and MP can both be yellow fluffed the size should be apparent. s well as black leakage in MP from sire.

Also Broody BSL should be due before the 1st. Forgot what day I set them as I meant to swap out but there is good development so I am leaving the 6-8 BYM with her. Hate wasting a chick.

Back
Top Bottom