Mealworm farming

I moved the beetles to a different container. I wanted the eggs laid in newish substrate so the stinky frass that had accumulated could be tossed into the compost pile without fear of losing a bunch of eggs.

Some here have stated categorically that the beetles are carnivorous and cannibalistic. From what research I've done, it appears this is NOT the case. For the most part, all the beetles want to do is stay out of the light and mate, mate, mate... and then mate some more. Then lay some eggs. As long as you are providing a moisture source for them they will not need to suck moisture from other dying bugs in the bin. (the black, dead, dried out ones you see).

I put fresh potatoes in there every 3rd day or so.. and then carrots until they look to start drying out. I would say my dead ones are just because of where I got my worms to start. .not the ideal starter worms :\ But it was what I had at hand

I've reached the boring stage where just about all of my worms have turned into beetles, I still have 4-5 pupa and a handful of worms, but the rest are beetles... waiting for the next batch of worms to get big enough to see...

Gave my babies their first mealworm yesterday and hilarity ensued. They had no interest the day before but now they check my hand every time I put it in the brooder :)

Quote:
Lol, mine are always easy maintenance. Just mist them every other day or so.... I don't give them fruit or veggies, just mist them every now and then, they seem to do well that way. I have a Tupperware with a vent lid, I put a damp paper towel on the bottom and put the pupa in there, so the pupa have high humidity and I've only had 1 with messed up wings (before I started that) and one of the weird half pupa half beetle things... the rest have morphed perfectly.

Lol, mine are always easy maintenance. Just mist them every other day or so.... I don't give them fruit or veggies, just mist them every now and then, they seem to do well that way. I have a Tupperware with a vent lid, I put a damp paper towel on the bottom and put the pupa in there, so the pupa have high humidity and I've only had 1 with messed up wings (before I started that) and one of the weird half pupa half beetle things... the rest have morphed perfectly.

I don't know how many you have, but once mine started to pupate it took a good hour every day to pick all the pupae out of the bin. And then they started to emerge and I had to pick beetles out too. Now that everybody's mostly beetles, all I have to do is throw a few cabbage leaves in every few days (they like them and they don't mold, just dry up). Once the beetles die, I can just sift them out and wait for babies. Ahhh... :cool:

Some here have stated categorically that the beetles are carnivorous and cannibalistic. From what research I've done, it appears this is NOT the case. For the most part, all the beetles want to do is stay out of the light and mate, mate, mate... and then mate some more. Then lay some eggs. As long as you are providing a moisture source for them they will not need to suck moisture from other dying bugs in the bin. (the black, dead, dried out ones you see).

In my experience the beetles will eat the pupae; but it's as you say, if I've neglected to put more food in there for them, they snack on the ones that can't get away
hmm.png

In my experience the beetles will eat the pupae; but it's as you say, if I've neglected to put more food in there for them, they snack on the ones that can't get away
hmm.png

Yeah... I edited my original post to add: "(edit to add: and from several years of observation and personal experience)" They need to get moisture from someplace... If you don't provide it, then all's fair in the survival game... In my experience, the beetles don't really "eat" much, but they do need moisture.

Back
Top Bottom