Metal corrugated roof! Ugh...

Pics
I bbuilt a cicken house 2 ears using etel roof and what I did was ut my rafters on ede and not flat. I then took 1/4 inch Hardware cloth and laced over the oenings obetween roof and siding. I did this on each end and on the drip edge of roof. I put a 4-- 12 pitch on m roof. I live in a high humidity area and never had any any sweating. My suggestion is to cut 3inch high slots about 3 to 4 inches from your studs and about 3 inches down from sealplates, do that between each stud. oin the summer time each end of your house. this will give a heat release in summer time and cross venelation year round. and a cooling efffect during hot months. This should eleminate the sweeting. What you have now doesnot allow the moisture to escape.

I agree they like to even eat Styrofoam brand polystyrene foam panels. I read that chickens get cold thru their feet so I laid Styrofoam on the floor to keep the girls warm and covered it with newspapers. I had to remove it because they were eating it. Why would they eat Styrofoam?
They have bird brains. The try to eat anything they can see and will fit. They will give up on inedible items, but usually after they try. Except my coop galoshes. They peck at those all the time. Maybe they only want to play.....

But yes, if they can reach it, or even flap up to it, they will try to eat it or hang on to it, I worry about staples, and such. Just watch...

I live in Chicago, and the coop we had used the wavy corregated metal~~~~~~ so there was a lot of air ventilation. It was a good pitch (4/12) running with the ribbing. Overlapping the ends with about 6-8 inches. Gutter on short wall side. Lots of windows for natural light. Sollid wall on one side, wrapping 1/2 way back on each side with solid wall. Insulated and recovered solid wall structure, but didn't close off the roof to wall anywhere. We did not have any condensation issues. The only issue was like last year when it got -20° F out I had to bring them in for warmth so the didn't get frostbite. First year I had to do that in my five years. Also during cold winter I put up plastic over the windows. Closing off any drafts and it added a barrier for the cold as well. The wavy holes on the roof ventilation I left alone.

I live in Chicago, and the coop we had used the wavy corregated metal~~~~~~ so there was a lot of air ventilation. It was a good pitch (4/12) running with the ribbing. Overlapping the ends with about 6-8 inches. Gutter on short wall side. Lots of windows for natural light. Sollid wall on one side, wrapping 1/2 way back on each side with solid wall. Insulated and recovered solid wall structure, but didn't close off the roof to wall anywhere. We did not have any condensation issues. The only issue was like last year when it got -20° F out I had to bring them in for warmth so the didn't get frostbite. First year I had to do that in my five years. Also during cold winter I put up plastic over the windows. Closing off any drafts and it added a barrier for the cold as well. The wavy holes on the roof ventilation I left alone.

PS. The coop was a large walk in size 10' x 14' and 6-1/2' high on low end and 8' high on other .

I have used card board as an insulator for the roof in the past to prevent dampness. I wanted to put down a thin plywood when we build our roof, but my spouse did not want the added expense. Metal roofs will heat and cool quickly in the winter causing the issue. The cardboard seems to slow down the process and reduce the wet. I have a lot of airflow between the roof and cardboard, so my damp is minimal at best.

I put a metal roof on mine but I knew how the moisture builds up on it because of sitting in a deer blind, one year, with a metal roof and getting wet from the moisture falling on me. So, I put down a thick OSB panel or plyboard, on the roof of my coop and then put down some black roofing paper over that, to keep the moisture from rotting the wood, over time. Then I put the sheet metal on. My suggestion is to remove the sheet metal and do it the way I did. Its the only permanent solution, in my book.
Awesome, thanks. Yup you can get pretty wet if the coop shakes. I can only imagine my poor animals.

Back
Top Bottom