Metronidazole doseage..

Sherol

Songster
Apr 7, 2015
San Antonio Tx
I think I am dealing with blackhead. I have ordered some Medpet 4 in 1 but have been reading and see some have used meteronidazole. I have some from my fish meds.. it is a powder, Can I use it and what would the dosage be? Should it go in their water or should I dose them individually?

Realize this is old, but I can answer it. My "fishzole" is pure metronidazole. It comes with a small measuring spoon which equals 500 mg. I found that this measuring spoon holds 1/4 tsp. One way to dose the bird would be to dissolve 1/8 tsp in 1 ml water. That would give you 250 mg per ml. A five lb bird is about 2.268 kg. So at 50 mg/kg, you would need about 115 mg (2.268 x 50) which would be about 0.5 ml. Bird/dose ratios: 1 lb/0.1 ml; 2 lb/0.2 ml; 3 lb/0.3 ml; 4 lb/0.4 ml; 5 lb/0.5 ml; 6 lb/0.6 ml; and so on. These are close, but not exact, some a very little bit over, others a bit under.

Nope. Not quite. I originally found this method in an Avian Vet book for aspirin. It also works for meds in capsule or pill form that dissolve thoroughly. I have since found that pills work best if I can cut them properly. I toss them down their throat. It doesn't taste bad, so they're more cooperative. Anyway...

I was mixing some doxycycline to give to a bird with suspected salpingitis and realized that when I emptied the powder in the water, it increased the volume. Mixed a packet of powder with 1/2 ml H2O and the volume increased. Slurped it all out with a syringe and found that it was 8 ml. I needed 1/2 a packet, so I gave 4 ml. Usually I just measure out a 1/2 packet (3/8 tsp) and mix it with a bit of water and soak bread cubes in it.
However, regarding metronidazole...
I have a hen with mucousy diarrhea, and I have Giardia in our run from an earlier infection. I gave her fenbendazole (Safeguard) whick works great for that. It didn't work for this girl. I tried Valbazen. Nothing. I decided to try metronidazole which also works for Giardia, so I got to test this method for that med. Measured 1 ml, added 1/4 tsp......yep, it increased the volume. Tried to slurp it out to measure and it's nearly impossible. It doesn't dissolve in the water and forms a sludge at the bottom of the container. It doesn't stay suspended long enough even to slurp it out in small bits. Tried warming it. Nothing. Thought about mixing it in food and dividing the food into portions. Thought to taste it. UGHHHHHH! No way they would eat it. I did that an hour ago and I can still taste the bitterness! Fish must not have taste sensors or they like really bitter things.

I think I'm just going to order metronidazole tablets and cut them up. It will be good to have on hand.

Nope. Not quite. I originally found this method in an Avian Vet book for aspirin. It also works for meds in capsule or pill form that dissolve thoroughly. I have since found that pills work best if I can cut them properly. I toss them down their throat. It doesn't taste bad, so they're more cooperative. Anyway...

I was mixing some doxycycline to give to a bird with suspected salpingitis and realized that when I emptied the powder in the water, it increased the volume. Mixed a packet of powder with 1/2 ml H2O and the volume increased. Slurped it all out with a syringe and found that it was 8 ml. I needed 1/2 a packet, so I gave 4 ml. Usually I just measure out a 1/2 packet (3/8 tsp) and mix it with a bit of water and soak bread cubes in it.
However, regarding metronidazole...
I have a hen with mucousy diarrhea, and I have Giardia in our run from an earlier infection. I gave her fenbendazole (Safeguard) whick works great for that. It didn't work for this girl. I tried Valbazen. Nothing. I decided to try metronidazole which also works for Giardia, so I got to test this method for that med. Measured 1 ml, added 1/4 tsp......yep, it increased the volume. Tried to slurp it out to measure and it's nearly impossible. It doesn't dissolve in the water and forms a sludge at the bottom of the container. It doesn't stay suspended long enough even to slurp it out in small bits. Tried warming it. Nothing. Thought about mixing it in food and dividing the food into portions. Thought to taste it. UGHHHHHH! No way they would eat it. I did that an hour ago and I can still taste the bitterness! Fish must not have taste sensors or they like really bitter things.

I think I'm just going to order metronidazole tablets and cut them up. It will be good to have on hand.
If you want to make your own oral suspension you should buy a suspension syrup like "ORA-Blend"

If you want to make your own oral suspension you should buy a suspension syrup like "ORA-Blend"

!!!! THANKS !!!! Very expensive, though. Do you think corn syrup or honey would work? Actually, I'll try that now. I hope the sweetener will make the bitterness at least a little tolerable.

It worked! Taste was a little bit better. It was sweet before the bitterness hit. Stuff still settled (must be very heavy), but slowly enough to measure and get a dose.

I think I am dealing with blackhead. I have ordered some Medpet 4 in 1 but have been reading and see some have used meteronidazole. I have some from my fish meds.. it is a powder, Can I use it and what would the dosage be? Should it go in their water or should I dose them individually?

What fish product is it? You can use it, but need to use the correct amount. Let me know what it is and I tell you how much to use. You also need to know how much your chicken weighs.

-Kathy

It started with pox in some Legbars I got. It ran through my main flock of birds this spring. So figured it would run its course in these guys. Then started to see weight loss and eyes always half closed. I thought cocci but they did not respond to the Corrid like my others did when they got it. Then saw some yellow in the feces. So now thinking they have blackhead. I also ordered the Baytril with the 4 in 1 but after much reading saw the use of the metronidazole I have some on hand because of my aquatic hobby. Do I just add to drinnnnking water or get a bigger dose down in them? Still have the pox and the sores on the combs.

Last edited:
Forgot the weights. One weighs 478 grams and the other 642 grams that I have inside. They are getting more attention as I am trying to keep them eating with the weight loss. I am pretty sure the other 6 Legbars I have are losing weight as well.

Back
Top Bottom