Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Your Corgi is beautiful and that picture is great. As for what might have happened. Do you still have the packaging the pigs ear came in? If so check to see where it was actually from. There has been any number of health issues related to dried meat products imported from China. I don't know if that is the case here but we have 7 dogs and we used to give them chicken jerky which they loved until we read about an outbreak of Salmonella directly related to imported Chinese chicken jerky treats. We now have the policy that absolutely nothing from China goes anywhere near our dogs and we also now do only health treats that we can make or prepare ourselves. We started this entire sustainability thing to improve the quality of food we ate...why should we not extend the same consideration to our pets?

Your Corgi is beautiful and that picture is great. As for what might have happened. Do you still have the packaging the pigs ear came in? If so check to see where it was actually from. There has been any number of health issues related to dried meat products imported from China. I don't know if that is the case here but we have 7 dogs and we used to give them chicken jerky which they loved until we read about an outbreak of Salmonella directly related to imported Chinese chicken jerky treats. We now have the policy that absolutely nothing from China goes anywhere near our dogs and we also now do only health treats that we can make or prepare ourselves. We started this entire sustainability thing to improve the quality of food we ate...why should we not extend the same consideration to our pets?

Thx... He was starting to get a bit anxious with all the chickens starting to crowd him and wanted out of the run!
There was no packaging. It was loose in a big box. I had heard about the chicken jerky a while ago and haven't bought that for quite some time. There was a recall on pigs ears in 2011 for salmonella but even if it was that, it would take a while to go through his system. And there was no vomiting or diarrhea. Just the 'paralysis' for lack of a better word.
7 dogs!! Wow! What do you give them to chew on? My dog can down a store bought bone pretty fast and I'm afraid he will swallow a big chunk and get a blockage. So I thought I'd try a pigs ear for a change. Forget Greenies and all those sorts of things. They're gone in seconds. He doesn't like rawhide I just want something to help keep his teeth clean.

Sorry.... I've been MIA.... reading but not posting. Had a close call with my Corgi yesterday... gave him a pigs ear to eat I got from the pet store. As soon as he was finished he got up to walk and it was like he was drunk. He was stumbling, dragging his back legs and then falling down. He would walk a few steps then fall. Then he just collapsed. We thought he was a goner. He couldn't even hold his head up. It was like he was poisoned. It happened so fast. We put him in his bed and he just laid there with his tongue out. That was about 5:00 Sunday night. By 5:00 tonight he was perfectly normal?!?! I have no idea what it was but we thought for sure he wasn't going to make it. Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? He wasn't choking, no blockage and he was completely normal all day until he ate the pigs ear. I'm going to go back where I bought it and tell them about it but you know they won't say/do anything. I just want them to know in case there's something wrong with them. My little cutie pie... By the way... no pointy feathers on my OE so I'm guessing girl!
I agree with the other post. We avoid all products from China now too. I even stopped buying meal worms for the chickens since they seem to all come from China. Other than that, pigs ears are greasy and can get stuck in their throats and can cause pancreatitis.

I agree with the other post. We avoid all products from China now too. I even stopped buying meal worms for the chickens since they seem to all come from China. Other than that, pigs ears are greasy and can get stuck in their throats and can cause pancreatitis.

Love your new avatar!! Yup, I learned all this yesterday. No more China junk and especially pigs ears! Thx :)

Thx... He was starting to get a bit anxious with all the chickens starting to crowd him and wanted out of the run!
There was no packaging. It was loose in a big box. I had heard about the chicken jerky a while ago and haven't bought that for quite some time. There was a recall on pigs ears in 2011 for salmonella but even if it was that, it would take a while to go through his system. And there was no vomiting or diarrhea. Just the 'paralysis' for lack of a better word.
7 dogs!! Wow! What do you give them to chew on? My dog can down a store bought bone pretty fast and I'm afraid he will swallow a big chunk and get a blockage. So I thought I'd try a pigs ear for a change. Forget Greenies and all those sorts of things. They're gone in seconds. He doesn't like rawhide I just want something to help keep his teeth clean.

if you can find a dog store that sells more natural products that are locally produced you can give him things like tendons and other cow parts that they dry for dogs. Our dog goes through the other stuff really fast too.

Edited to add: Here is the place that I get our dog treats from http://www.unleashedmutt.com/Pages/BodyParts.aspx

You may have similar stores in your area too that specialize in more natural stuff but I wanted to post the link to give you an idea about the tendons and other weird dog chews they have.

Last edited:
Love your new avatar!! Yup, I learned all this yesterday. No more China junk and especially pigs ears! Thx
smile.png
So glad he is okay.

Yeah, Buffy makes a good avatar. Yours is great too. Those poofy feathers are the best!

Antlers are big dog chews around here, but they are expensive to buy, great thing if you know someone that hunts.
I buy pig skin chews, haven't checked where they come from but I'll definitely be doing that. One of our dogs is allergic to beef so we have to be careful what treats/chew toys we buy.

We have a pet store in town that I haven't even been to yet. We drove by it tonight for the first time at night and could see into the store, it's much larger than I thought. I'll be stopping by soon to check it out. I hope they have more natural/local products.

Glad your corgi baby is ok. How scary!!

Here are my girls..I can't believe it's been almost two weeks!

The two BCM and one of the BO chicks are new :) got them last weds. Lol now that the BO is here we've figured out that's what breed mango is too cause they are identical. Now we can't tell mango and marigold apart
1f616.png

Believe it or not and even though some people (myself included) think its strange, we brush their teeth. We use the little finger tip brush, canine toothpaste and a quick brush along the sides between the teeth and cheek. The secret is not to actually try to brush their teeth like humans do (though that helps some) but to get the toothpaste spread enought that they can't just swallow it. It is the enzymes in the toothpast that do all the work on their own. For chewing things we have a few hard rubber balls that were made in USA we got at PetSmart and various really large shank bones that are really hard. Even our Anatolian can only chip away at them and they tend to chip off in smooth pieces with no sharp points. That and their favorite chew toy...anything else they can fit in their mouth.

@NotableNancy I think any kind of poisoning would take longer to show, but who knows. I suppose it's possible for something to display signs quickly and pass through quickly too. Last year when I was trying to grow meal worms instead of buying dried ones, I was having trouble with the bedding getting moldy. That didn't stop my Doberman from eating that and the worms. It took a few hours for him to display signs of poisoning from the mold. That was very scary and an expensive vet visit. Either way, I'm glad your little cutie is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom