Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Glad everyone's babies are arriving happy and healthy! I was able to add a buff silkie today!! All I need now is a dorking and ill be happy... Well at least till next year lol

hopefulpeeps, I'm not *sure* because they were an "assortment" but I'm thinking the light yellow ones that are feathering in with white featers are most likely White Rocks, and several people have said they think my black ones are Black Australorps, so that just leaves the darker yellow/buff ones, which are not Buff Orpingtons because they have yellow legs so they might be Buff Chanteclers (?). I bought 15 Brown Egg Layers (plus 1 free meal maker) which guarantees at least 3 different varieties of chicks, and I got exactly 3 varieties.

Quote:

Thank you! And no White Rocks, just one Barred Rock. But she isn't doing so well. Very lethargic. She's drinking okay and tries to eat, but isn't taking in much food. She's on the small side and much more wobbly than the others. In fact the others are all doing great! But I'm so worried about the little Barred Rock. I've been making sure she's taking in water and staying warm. Not sure what else I can do for her. Poor little girl. Really hoping she comes around, but I give her a 50/50 shot.
Do you have any electrolytes to put in her water? Sometimes that helps with shipping stress. Also, wetting the chick feed can help to make it mushy and easier to eat. Hope she pulls through.
fl.gif

Two of my black baby chicks arrived very weak, and maybe with wry neck. I did exactly what this person describes on her blog http://www.bucknrunranch.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/ (pedialyte, Vitamin E, baby multi vitamins, and Selenium) mixed up and dropped into their mouths with an eyedropper, and they both recovered and I can't even tell which ones they were. Unfortunately, all of those supplies at Walgreens cost me more than my order of chicks. If I had to do it again, I would use Vitamin E alone and see if that helps by itself. Good luck with the weak one!

Quote:

We cured wry neck with vitamin e but the chick still died from other issues. I've had luck with wetting the food and adding some egg yolk, or dip their beak directly into the egg yolk. Never been able to recover one that was too weak though.
I hope yours makes it.

Do you have any electrolytes to put in her water? Sometimes that helps with shipping stress. Also, wetting the chick feed can help to make it mushy and easier to eat. Hope she pulls through.
fl.gif

I'm way ahead of you, Lynn! Electrolytes went in their water right away before any of them even drank. I'll continue giving call of them that until I go through a gallon.

She was kind of getting rolled over by the other chicks under the Brinsea, so I got a fuzzy warm cloth and tucked it and her in my shirt between my bosom. (I know some of you are laughing) She was warm and happy in there and slept that way for much of the day while I went about my business about the house. Whenever she stirred, I offered her some water. I remembered I had some grogel and mixed that up for her. I also wet some crumble for her and put it with the grogel. Sprinkled a little dry crumble on some of the grogel, too. I did the mama chicken thing and pecked at it with my finger and made the 'look I've got food' chicken sound. (by now you probably think I'm insane) Sure enough she slowly started to take to it and eat.

While not exactly out of the woods, she is doing MUCH better now and the odds are looking in her favor. She was strong enough after eating a while that I put her back in the brooder and she's been doing okay. A bit less wobbly, but not perfectly stable just yet. I have high hopes for her.
smile.png

I'm way ahead of you, Lynn! Electrolytes went in their water right away before any of them even drank. I'll continue giving call of them that until I go through a gallon.

She was kind of getting rolled over by the other chicks under the Brinsea, so I got a fuzzy warm cloth and tucked it and her in my shirt between my bosom. (I know some of you are laughing) She was warm and happy in there and slept that way for much of the day while I went about my business about the house. Whenever she stirred, I offered her some water. I remembered I had some grogel and mixed that up for her. I also wet some crumble for her and put it with the grogel. Sprinkled a little dry crumble on some of the grogel, too. I did the mama chicken thing and pecked at it with my finger and made the 'look I've got food' chicken sound. (by now you probably think I'm insane) Sure enough she slowly started to take to it and eat.

While not exactly out of the woods, she is doing MUCH better now and the odds are looking in her favor. She was strong enough after eating a while that I put her back in the brooder and she's been doing okay. A bit less wobbly, but not perfectly stable just yet. I have high hopes for her.
smile.png
ha ha, hey, if it works! Hopefully, tomorrow she'll look better.

Thought I'd share this pic with you I got this morning.
I let the girls in the garden while I was working out there. Our BA left a trail of broken lettuce in her wake which I wasn't too happy about but she ate a pesky caterpillar so I forgive her!
It's also a great pic to see how much her comb and wattles grew!

Also got a little better pic of our cochin instead of just her fluffy butt. Still not the greatest. She doesn't like her pic taken.
WOW your BA's comb/wattles are huge!!! She's so pretty!! Mine looks like a teenager compared to yours! I forget if yours is laying yet... is she 22 weeks??
My 2 are both at the top of the pecking order and one tries not to let anyone near me when I'm feeding treats from my hand till she's done. If I purposely neglect her for a bit and give them
to other girls she storms off squawking. Are yours like that?

Nancy how is your pipsqueak doing or did you change her name? I don't think my Daisy will ever finish featuring out....
She's still Pipsqueak although I usually call her Pips or Pippa, and she is doing great. Just a bit smaller than the rest and maturing slowly. She's a bit shy with me and hangs back till the mean girls, the BA's, are finished with the weeds or treats then gets in there for her share. I'll get a pic of her next time. At least it's warm outside so if Daisy isn't feathered all the way yet she's not cold! With our 95 degree temps I'm sure a few of mine would like to be have a few less feathers. Your Olivia looks like my Cleo. No beard and dark like yours but I think she's very pretty.

Congrats to everyone on the chicks!!!
Chickenpooplady- great pics, great assortment and adorable babies!!!
GreenEggsNSpam- glad to hear your BR is doing better. Post pics when you can. I know it is so hectic when they first arrive. You sound like you're doing everything right.. keep it up :)

Back
Top Bottom