Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I agree, she's an Orp. Probably a throwback to an outcross at some point. Either way, they are lovely.
big_smile.png
I haven't thought of getting buff Orpingtons, but I've heard they are some of the best personalities you can ask for.
Outcross throwback Buff Orpington it is! I guess some other factors that kept me thinking she was a different breed is she was originally much more skiddish than the white-legged Orps, and she feathered in almost completely before the white legged ones had any feathers. Now the only way I can tell her apart from the others is the color of her legs (size, feathering, and personality pretty much the same).

Thanks everyone for straightening me out, I love this forum.

As far as personality versus other breed, I do probably prefer them to the White Rocks, and I guess they are friendly and calm enough. I doubt I will continue owning them when these are gone, though, as I prefer the rarer breeds, and I have too many brown egg layers.

Almost full. Normally I would sell a dozen by now but I want it to get completely full at least once.
big_smile.png
oooh, so nice! and the colors too. We've been eating a lot of eggs lately so ours is not filled up, only 3 on it now. There is a lot of activity in the coop today. My Cuckoo Maran, Cuckoo has been sitting in the nest box all morning when Daisy the White Rock does not chase her out biting her rear on the way out. That's one mean chicken!

I am so hoping for a dark brown egg from Cuckoo!
fl.gif

The other young ones are squatting and so noisy today, there has got to be at least one new layer today! They keep making a fool of me every time I go out!
sad.png

I agree, she's an Orp. Probably a throwback to an outcross at some point. Either way, they are lovely.
big_smile.png
I haven't thought of getting buff Orpingtons, but I've heard they are some of the best personalities you can ask for.
The one BO we have, Big Mama is the most social chicken of them all and the most people friendly when she does lay eggs she lays a brown freckled egg almost every day. We're glad we got her.

Almost full. Normally I would sell a dozen by now but I want it to get completely full at least once.
Beautiful!!

big_smile.png
oooh, so nice! and the colors too. We've been eating a lot of eggs lately so ours is not filled up, only 3 on it now. There is a lot of activity in the coop today. My Cuckoo Maran, Cuckoo has been sitting in the nest box all morning when Daisy the White Rock does not chase her out biting her rear on the way out. That's one mean chicken!

I am so hoping for a dark brown egg from Cuckoo!
fl.gif

The other young ones are squatting and so noisy today, there has got to be at least one new layer today! They keep making a fool of me every time I go out!
sad.png

The one BO we have, Big Mama is the most social chicken of them all and the most people friendly when she does lay eggs she lays a brown freckled egg almost every day. We're glad we got her.
Can't wait to see your Cuckoo's egg!! Mine is dark but not dark like the ones from a breeder.
Keep us posted... hopefully some new layers today or tomorrow :)

My Cuckoo Maran after a lot of hours of fussing, finally laid her egg. It is a rich brown color, the flash lightened it up a little.

Here is the egg in comparison to the others. From left Cuckoo Maran, White Rock, RIR, BR and White Rock again. Their colors usually look better once the eggs are washed too. All 4 on the left were laid today, should have another egg soon from Izzie the leghorn a white egg will be a nice addition!

Congratulations!!! My BA is behind on laying, these younger chickens are beating her.

What's the size of your blue andulasions eggs? My 2 Andulasions are pretty skittish, although my Splash one is very talkative to me. They also with my Golden Campine are the escapees that keep flying into trees and away from their free range area. Such trouble makers!

Thanks! The first couple eggs were pullets sized but they are starting to get bigger. The last one I got is almost as big as my Barred Rock's eggs.

I just placed an order for a few new chicks I will be picking up Apr 28th from meyer! I ordered olive egger, welsummer and an EE, all pullets. Anyone have pics of eggs from any hens of those breeds they got from meyer? Also for those of you with meyer EE's how many actually ended up laying blue or green eggs?? I got 3 EE's from mt healthy last spring and although they are very healthy productive hens (so I can't really complain), all 3 lay skin color cream eggs and I'm wanting some color variety in my egg basket.... I'd order ameraucana but with the rest of my order not all breeds are available until summer
or not available at all... guess I waited too long to order, huh?

My Cuckoo Maran after a lot of hours of fussing, finally laid her egg. It is a rich brown color, the flash lightened it up a little.

Here is the egg in comparison to the others. From left Cuckoo Maran, White Rock, RIR, BR and White Rock again. Their colors usually look better once the eggs are washed too. All 4 on the left were laid today, should have another egg soon from Izzie the leghorn a white egg will be a nice addition!
NICE!!!!!! Congrats. Very pretty color :)
BTW, I keep forgetting to ask, does the skelter hold med/large eggs? And if you have xlarge/jumbo do they still fit or do you just put them in the fridge?

I just placed an order for a few new chicks I will be picking up Apr 28th from meyer! I ordered olive egger, welsummer and an EE, all pullets. Anyone have pics of eggs from any hens of those breeds they got from meyer? Also for those of you with meyer EE's how many actually ended up laying blue or green eggs?? I got 3 EE's from mt healthy last spring and although they are very healthy productive hens (so I can't really complain), all 3 lay skin color cream eggs and I'm wanting some color variety in my egg basket.... I'd order ameraucana but with the rest of my order not all breeds are available until summer
or not available at all... guess I waited too long to order, huh?
I got 4 EE's from Meyer and only 1 lays green out of the 4. The others are shades of brown but one is a pretty creamy color. I think they just started offering olive eggers so not sure of the color of those although I can't wait to see some pics. You're lucky you live so close you can go pick up pullets. Makes the wait for eggs so much shorter. Do you get to pick which EE pullets you want or do they already have them waiting for you when you arrive?

My order date is mid summer...I had to get an ameraucana! I'm so curious to see them. Hope I don't go too crazy waiting that long.
I know, it's so hard to wait. Can't wait to see your Ameraucana!! I would love a blue or splash one!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom