Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I was going to get one with my Meyer order this year but ended up choosing an EE instead. I kinda wish I would've gotten the Exchequer since I already had 3 EE's, but I love little Ophelia the EE chick too much to regret it, so next year I probably will get one! Yours is a beauty, love that perky tail! I like that they lay white eggs, because I don't have a white egg layer yet.

Yes they must be the same age :) I picked mine up April 21st. What breeds are your 8 week olds? Maybe some of ours could be sisters lol. I got a blue cochin, 2 wellies, a speckled sussex and and EE.
Sadly they can't be sisters cause my latest batch is from Ideal. I have 2 EE's, 2 Cream Brabanters, 1 white Silkie but I think is a boy and 2 Crested Cream Legbars from a local breeder I lucked out and got for only $20 each!!!!!
You'll have to keep me posted on your Wellie because I have one on my order for Sept. From what I've read they sound like a good backyard chicken. Did you post pics of yours recently?? I'd love to see them
big_smile.png
I do love a blue cochin and was also considering a SS but decided on a SF but will change to a BO or SLW. Such complicated stuff right?
I finally have a few white egg layers with my Brabanters and then ordered 1 Leghorn for Sept. But one of mine, have no idea who, is laying such a light colored egg right now it could pass for white! Funny how they change.

I skipped over the chick stage for discovering what my EEs would look like but the wait for them to arrive and see the colors chosen for me and now the wait to see what color egg the all white EE will lay is killing me! But, that is part of the fun at the same time! And, there is the fun of planning for next year ... I can definitely relate!

Aaaaand there's another to add to my "one day..." wishlist- all white EE.  They are so pretty! have you added a picture of her?  I may have missed it....
Here are some photos of my white EE. My son named her Boo, for obvious reasons.

She is very pretty and getting a little pink. Maybe she will give me some eggs soon?

@NotableNancy yes! I read a lot about adding new chicks and how it can disrupt the entire pecking order. I saw the same thing except I only had three big ones and three little ones. My buff brahma is at the bottom and didn't put up much of a fuss, but the other two! My Dellie was fighting to keep her top spot everyday! My PR wasn't trying to become the alpha but serious about remaining second. They both really pecked at the one below them. And gave chase to the three little boys whenever possible. It was really interesting to watch the behavior change.

On another note, I just added a white leghorn to my order. I realize I actually want white eggs and a reliable layer. I might be completely crazy! I hope she will not be too flighty or loud. I really didn't want one because they seem so boring and common, but seems the best choice when they'll lay 300 eggs/yr!!

Aaaaand there's another to add to my "one day..." wishlist- all white EE.  They are so pretty! have you added a picture of her?  I may have missed it....
Here are some photos of my white EE. My son named her Boo, for obvious reasons.

She is very pretty and getting a little pink. Maybe she will give me some eggs soon?

What a gorgeous girl! Definately need to get one like her!
2764.png

Sadly they can't be sisters cause my latest batch is from Ideal. I have 2 EE's, 2 Cream Brabanters, 1 white Silkie but I think is a boy and 2 Crested Cream Legbars from a local breeder I lucked out and got for only $20 each!!!!!  
You'll have to keep me posted on your Wellie because I have one on my order for Sept. From what I've read they sound like a good backyard chicken. Did you post pics of yours recently?? I'd love to see them :D   I do love a blue cochin and was also considering a SS but decided on a SF but will change to a BO or SLW. Such complicated stuff right?
I finally have a few white egg layers with my Brabanters and then ordered 1 Leghorn for Sept. But one of mine, have no idea who, is laying such a light colored egg right now it could pass for white!  Funny how they change.  

Here's some pictures of my 2 wellies :)
Clove. As you can see she has already perfected her "stop interrupting my nap for pictures" stink eye. She doesn't look like that all the time! She's actually quite sweet, and has the longest neck ever- I think she's in that long, lanky stage right now.
Rue. Oh Rue, I still question if you are a she or he. Feathers say girl all the way but some days her face looks red (never the comb itself but the surrounding skin. Her waddles are also a teeny bit bigger than Cloves. Guess time will tell!

They free range with my big girls and all my babies are always out foraging for food, so I expect them to be grow up to be good backyarders. Rue especially likes chasing bugs. Both are pretty tame, Rue runs to me and Clove doesn't run from me so that's a big improvement from when she was younger :) now if I could get the Cochin to be less of a scaredy cat, I'd be good to go.
How do you like the brabanters? You don't hear about them much, but they sure are cute!

@NotableNancy yes! I read a lot about adding new chicks and how it can disrupt the entire pecking order. I saw the same thing except I only had three big ones and three little ones. My buff brahma is at the bottom and didn't put up much of a fuss, but the other two! My Dellie was fighting to keep her top spot everyday! My PR wasn't trying to become the alpha but serious about remaining second. They both really pecked at the one below them. And gave chase to the three little boys whenever possible. It was really interesting to watch the behavior change.

On another note, I just added a white leghorn to my order. I realize I actually want white eggs and a reliable layer. I might be completely crazy! I hope she will not be too flighty or loud. I really didn't want one because they seem so boring and common, but seems the best choice when they'll lay 300 eggs/yr!!

I know that leghorns are supposed to be the best layers, but, I'm a little wary of their personalities. I like calm and quiet and I fear they are anything but that. Has anyone gotten an Austra White? On Meyer's website, it says that they are a cross of an Australorp roo and White Leghorn hen and are supposedly great layers of off-white eggs and considered quiet, tame and docile, not flighty. I think I might get a couple next year. I love my Australorps. They are very docile. So, the Austra Whites must get their personality from them.

I thought I would share the "cochin' roo I received from Meyer in March.

This is noodles, he was supposed to be a pet for my son. We ordered a buff cochin. He has some buff coloring and sparse feathering on his feet. We adore him regardless but Meyer definitely has a fence jumper!

Also, what does that noise mean when the girls sort of purr or make a throaty sound that pretty loud? They were in the run and one did it and I thought it was kind of a warning because they all stood still and then another one did it and it lasted a good 5-10 minutes. And then they were doing it in the coop last night before bed time. I've heard it before but just never asked. It's such a cute sound but I don't know what it means. Anyone?
I want to know what this means too! I've noticed it before in my 10 week old flock, in fact just yesterday when one of the girls was on my lap, Clara I think, one of her sisters in the brooder started making the sound and Clara replied. Reminds me a bit of frogs or crickets but definitely has a purring aspect to it.

MamaShell- Boo is gorgeous! Such a sweet face, so different from some of our more severe hawk-like EE's who are majestic in their own right.

Daniellea- Clove and Rue are have such beautiful coloring. A Welsummer is at the top of my wishlist, I really wish I had been able to convince the husband to add one to our original order.

Does anyone else look at their flock aesthetically and think for example: "If I only had a red hen and a partridge feathered hen" they would look rounded out? That's where I'm at right now. We've got silver duckwing, black copper, and buff, our EE is black-gold penciled on brown and our sex-link is more gingery orange and white than red. I think our Dorking and EE would look great next to a Welsummer and our Buff Orp and Golden Buff would look great next to a RIR and our BCM will look great with everyone. Is that wrong?

I thought I would share the "cochin' roo I received from Meyer in March.

This is noodles, he was supposed to be a pet for my son. We ordered a buff cochin. He has some buff coloring and sparse feathering on his feet. We adore him regardless but Meyer definitely has a fence jumper!
He is stunning but neither buff nor fluffy. Looks more like a Cuckoo Marans.

[COLOR=333333]Also, what does that noise mean when the girls sort of purr or make a throaty sound that pretty loud?  They were in the run and one did it and I thought it was kind of a warning because they all stood still and then another one did it and it lasted a good 5-10 minutes. And then they were doing it in the coop last night before bed time.  I've heard it before but just never asked. It's such a cute sound but I don't know what it means. Anyone?[/COLOR]

I want to know what this means too!  I've noticed it before in my 10 week old flock, in fact just yesterday when one of the girls was on my lap, Clara I think, one of her sisters in the brooder started making the sound and Clara replied.  Reminds me a bit of frogs or crickets but definitely has a purring aspect to it.

MamaShell- Boo is gorgeous!  Such a sweet face, so different from some of our more severe hawk-like EE's who are majestic in their own right.

Daniellea- Clove and Rue are have such beautiful coloring.  A Welsummer is at the top of my wishlist, I really wish I had been able to convince the husband to add one to our original order.

Does anyone else look at their flock aesthetically and think for example: "If I only had a red hen and a partridge feathered hen" they would look rounded out?  That's where I'm at right now.  We've got silver duckwing, black copper, and buff, our EE is black-gold penciled on brown and our sex-link is more gingery orange and white than red.  I think our Dorking and EE would look great next to a Welsummer and our Buff Orp and Golden Buff would look great next to a RIR and our BCM will look great with everyone.  Is that wrong?

I don't think that's wrong. This is Backyard Chickens, not Eggs R Us. These chickens and their homes are part of our landscape. I think they should be aesthetically pleasing to us!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom