Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I wondered if any of you who have polish in your flocks could answer a few questions for me pretty please? I'm thinking of adding some polish to my Meyer chick order for April. Firstly, I am in central Ohio- do yours have issues with cold? It says on the Meyer website they do poorly in cold, but when I was chatting with a Meyer rep, she said she personally knew of people around our area (Meyer is only 2 hrs from me) that had them and didn't have issues. Secondly she suggested if I get them to get two so they don't get picked on... Is this true? If I just got one would it be bullied on more than the other 3-4 chicks I will be adding to the flock at the same time?

I wondered if any of you who have polish in your flocks could answer a few questions for me pretty please? I'm thinking of adding some polish to my Meyer chick order for April. Firstly, I am in central Ohio- do yours have issues with cold? It says on the Meyer website they do poorly in cold, but when I was chatting with a Meyer rep, she said she personally knew of people around our area (Meyer is only 2 hrs from me) that had them and didn't have issues. Secondly she suggested if I get them to get two so they don't get picked on... Is this true? If I just got one would it be bullied on more than the other 3-4 chicks I will be adding to the flock at the same time?

The only information I can offer is that I have only heard it is good to have more than one. They will be able to stick together IF bullying occurs. What other chickens do you have and what are you planning on getting? I think that will also play a role.

The only information I can offer is that I have only heard it is good to have more than one. They will be able to stick together IF bullying occurs. What other chickens do you have and what are you planning on getting? I think that will also play a role.

I have 15 hens now. They are in an approx 12x14 ft shed at night and out in a pretty large pasture (it's an old backyard) during the day, if weather permits... If it's in the teens or lower and windy during the day I'll keep them inside.
ETA- sorry forgot to add the chicks I am getting this year... I am getting all females: Olive egger, lav orp, buckeye, exch leghorn (may cancel if I get a 2nd polish) and one polish on my order right now. I am hoping to have a broody raise them but that will depend on the timing of my hens broodiness ;)

Last edited:
I have 15 hens now. They are in an approx 12x14 ft shed at night and out in a pretty large pasture (it's an old backyard) during the day, if weather permits... If it's in the teens or lower and windy during the day I'll keep them inside.

What breeds are they? And the new ones? I think the thing is the new group will get picked on for a while. You just want to make sure they get through the first rough period when introduced. Also the other new chicks could pick on the polish as well, especially as they get older before moving out with the others. My brahmas are extremely docile and don't really defend themselves but they have gotten through it. There was a period of a few days where I was ready to step in and separate the flock, but I'm really glad I didn't because they worked it out. I feel like the polish would behave similarly to my brahmas. However, I could be way off base.

What breeds are they? And the new ones? I think the thing is the new group will get picked on for a while. You just want to make sure they get through the first rough period when introduced. Also the other new chicks could pick on the polish as well, especially as they get older before moving out with the others. My brahmas are extremely docile and don't really defend themselves but they have gotten through it. There was a period of a few days where I was ready to step in and separate the flock, but I'm really glad I didn't because they worked it out. I feel like the polish would behave similarly to my brahmas. However, I could be way off base.

That makes sense. I have a mixture breed wise... Buff orp, barred rock, red sexlink, 2 black Ameraucanas, 4 easter eggers, 2 CCL's 2 welsummers, a cochin, and a speckled sussex. I'll be getting 5 females: Olive egger, lav orp, buckeye, exch leghorn (may cancel if I get a 2nd polish) and one polish on my order right now. The transition of last years chicks was similar to your experience, right when I was about to separate things settled down and the babies learned their place... It was rough watching but they had to learn the pecking order one way or the other.

Last edited:
Hi, I am wondering if anyone has ordered Leann's adopt me bargain? I am planning on ordering it. Does anyone have pictures from ordering it? Thanks.

That makes sense. I have a mixture breed wise... Buff orp, barred rock, red sexlink, 2 black Ameraucanas, 4 easter eggers, 2 CCL's 2 welsummers, a cochin, and a speckled sussex. I'll be getting 5 females: Olive egger, lav orp, buckeye, exch leghorn (may cancel if I get a 2nd polish) and one polish on my order right now. The transition of last years chicks was similar to your experience, right when I was about to separate things settled down and the babies learned their place... It was rough watching but they had to learn the pecking order one way or the other.

Well it sounds like you have an amazing assortment and no one that is really known for aggression. I think your polish would be ok. She'll probably pal around with another one of the newbies anyway. im guessing the orp because of their docile nature. That would be a cute pair!

I got one golden laced polish in leanns adopt me, I didn't want to keep her because of our winters but my kids fell in love with her. She's doing fine and we've had many days of -15F. I think the biggest problem is their heads getting wet from drinking.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has ordered Leann's adopt me bargain? I am planning on ordering it. Does anyone have pictures from ordering it? Thanks.

I ordered ten with the eleven chicks of the three breeds I wanted. My wife told me if I ordered ten more the difference in shipping made them basically free.
Of the ten Leann's 'mystery' chicks I got one golden laced polish pullet picture in my above post ( her tail did look nicer before I brought her inside for a better pic thinking three little kids could hold her Lol)
one dark cornish pullet and one easter egger bantam pullet that is laying a olive egg. The rest were roos. Two white cochins and one of each- white leghorn, rhode island red, welsummer, buff polish, silver laced polish. I don't have many pics, the roos went to freezer camp. I ordered two welsummer cockerels to go with the wellie pullets I ordered so I had three to choose from. I kept the nicest looking one pictured as my avatar. Here's a few pics

Back
Top Bottom