Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Here is a shot of my right arm with the plate and screws. With that and the hardware I my neck, I am one step closer to being bionic ;)

WOW! I hope you heal quickly and have Herculean strength!!!

@NotableNancy your corgi looks sweet and the shepherd is beautiful!
Thanks!! She's a handful!!

How is everyone doing with the snow? My girls don't mind subzero temps but they are afraid of the white stuff! Lol I have had to shovel portions of their run and put down hay. I even had to sweep off their ramp, otherwise, they would not come out of the coop. Even for treats! Anyone else experiencing that?
We've been lucky so far and only a total of 5" this winter but we've had real cold spells. Enjoying the warmth this weekend and doing some chicken chores this weekend. Going up to 50 tomorrow they say. THEN look out... the Polar Vortex is coming back next weekend ... it's supposed to be 0 degrees next Sat!!! Without windchill.

Mine don't like the snow either, so I keep them shut up in the coop for now. Its large though, 8'x16' 8' high for eight hens and one roo. We had -10F this morning and they still laid three eggs with no extra light or heat.
Mine aren't crazy about it but the coops aren't that big so they have no choice to go out in the run. They have lots of branches to hang out on and just huddle up in the frigid weather.

You have dirt?! We have over a foot of snow in Ohio, I haven't seen the ground in over a week. Lol. Ours girls don't mind the snow too much. Or at least they didn't mind the snow dustings we had in November, December and January. They love to eat it and will walk on shoveled paths for a short time. I keep laying down straw to encourage them to come out in the morning and walk over to their waterer. Last week I layed down a path of straw in the yard to encourage them to come out on a nice sunny day. But they haven't been outside the run since Sunday. Mostly they hang out under the coop or in the coop. Three of them are molting so I can't blame them. I took pics of them last week on that warm day and have been meaning to post a few.

Clara flying over her sisters. Victoria did some serious flying that afternoon across most of the yard.

Venturing past the yellow straw road. That's not deep at all, will have to snap a pic tomorrow.

And pics from hanging out in the coop- Amelia, Clara and Victoria in front

Group selfie! Oh Baby...

Poor Morgaine, she still manages to look pretty despite her frostbite :(
LOVE those pics.... is that Clara with the black head and lighter body? An EE? She's soooo pretty!!!! I love that color combo!!

Thanks for the ideas! I may use the Dolly Hot Potato one. Now to find a neat item to pass around!
big_smile.png

They are way too adorable! Looks like they get along well too!
thanks... the pic of the 2 together only happens once in a while. She still bugs the old guy to pieces trying to get him to play. He keeps telling her he's too old but she isn't buying it.

We've had no snow at all this winter.
hide.gif
They are predicting that it will be up to 65 tomorrow!!
hide.gif

Beautiful pictures!

Great pictures! Love the group selfie! Poor Morgaine!

We had a lot of snow the last two years before, but none this year. Although last year we did have a lot in February, so it still may happen. The flower bulbs are almost fully out of the ground, my garden plants are so confused.

I am excited with this weather and hope to get some tomato seeds started inside this weekend and plant out some more cool season veggies too. I know as soon as I get stuff in the ground though that the snow will probably arrive.

Stay warm everyone, I'll try to send some of our good weather your way!
Enjoy your warm weather. That great you can get this kind of gardening done in Feb... but watch out.. the polar vortex may be headed your way next weekend!!

right!
Love the shots, love the selfie! Morgaine's comb doesn't look too bad.

We have had weird winter weather, we were up to 70 yesterday, of course that has melted the snow. Has been a pretty mellow winter, thus far. Yes we have dirt and the gang always seems to find it.

Here is a shot of my right arm with the plate and screws. With that and the hardware I my neck, I am one step closer to being bionic
wink.png

Holy cow... that's crazy. How long does that stay in? I do hope you're not in to much pain.

LOVE those pics.... is that Clara with the black head and lighter body? An EE? She's soooo pretty!!!! I love that color combo!!
Yes and yes :) Thank you! She's our pretty hawk girl. I've been seeing more and more EE's on BYC with her coloring. Poor dear is molting on her neck, though you wouldn't know it until you get close. I wish my son had chosen another EE for this spring, I'm missing her blue-green eggs and know we won't be getting any for a couple-few months in the early fall either. I know I could have picked an EE myself, but really excited for my Welsummer who I think will look nice with Clara and Victoria's (Silver Grey Dorking) wild feather type.

Yes and yes :) Thank you! She's our pretty hawk girl. I've been seeing more and more EE's on BYC with her coloring. Poor dear is molting on her neck, though you wouldn't know it until you get close. I wish my son had chosen another EE for this spring, I'm missing her blue-green eggs and know we won't be getting any for a couple-few months in the early fall either. I know I could have picked an EE myself, but really excited for my Welsummer who I think will look nice with Clara and Victoria's (Silver Grey Dorking) wild feather type.
I know, love the green eggs... I will always have EE's and now I know I'll always have Golden Buff too! Most of my birds lay after 9 or 10 am and find them in the nest even up to 8 pm in the summer but those GB's lay theirs by 7 am every single day!!

I know, love the green eggs... I will always have EE's and now I know I'll always have Golden Buff too!   Most of my birds lay after 9 or 10 am and find them in the nest even up to 8 pm in the summer but those GB's lay theirs by 7 am every single day!!  

That is true for me, as well. My GBs are the first to lay EVERY morning and they lay the darkest and largest eggs! And, mine are all very laid back. I have not seen any of them show any signs of aggression toward another chicken. When we expand, I am going to get lots of them!

I know, love the green eggs... I will always have EE's and now I know I'll always have Golden Buff too! Most of my birds lay after 9 or 10 am and find them in the nest even up to 8 pm in the summer but those GB's lay theirs by 7 am every single day!!

That is true for me, as well. My GBs are the first to lay EVERY morning and they lay the darkest and largest eggs! And, mine are all very laid back. I have not seen any of them show any signs of aggression toward another chicken. When we expand, I am going to get lots of them!

They are great chickens, well we only have one but she is a great chicken :) Amelia does often lay early, but sometimes someone beats her to it if they hadn't laid the day before, like Baby this morning. I would say she tends to lay by 10am, maybe a third of the time its there by 8am. Guess she has too many slackers as sisters setting a bad example or maybe it's because it's such a small flock, so there's not much competition over the three nest boxes. The latest any of our girls has laid is 5pm, they are usually done by 3 but they were only born last April, so we'll see what summer brings. Amelia only skips about one day a month. She is sweet and submissive, at the bottom of the pecking order. I can't imagine her picking excessively on the little ones when we introduce them, but time will tell. She doesn't love being picked up but she tolerates it. She is very curious and highly motivated by food. And of course she is terribly pretty. I would definitely like more as well. It's a shame we are so limited here in suburbia, not by ordinances but by space and the husband's unwillingness to build a second coop.

You're right to hide. Them are fighting words! Lol

Seriously, I hope you escape this winter without snow. Why should we all suffer?

We actually had an incredible fall, and snow is good for the soil, so, I really shouldn't complain. Time goes so quickly. Spring will be here before we know it!

(Says the lady trying to convince herself...)
fl.gif

right!
Love the shots, love the selfie! Morgaine's comb doesn't look too bad.

We have had weird winter weather, we were up to 70 yesterday, of course that has melted the snow. Has been a pretty mellow winter, thus far. Yes we have dirt and the gang always seems to find it.

Here is a shot of my right arm with the plate and screws. With that and the hardware I my neck, I am one step closer to being bionic
wink.png

Bionic woman! That would be cool, if it didn't not look like it hurt a lot! OUCH!!!

I hope that you heal up quickly and have full use and maybe even super strength afterwards!

They are great chickens, well we only have one but she is a great chicken :) Amelia does often lay early, but sometimes someone beats her to it if they hadn't laid the day before, like Baby this morning. I would say she tends to lay by 10am, maybe a third of the time its there by 8am. Guess she has too many slackers as sisters setting a bad example or maybe it's because it's such a small flock, so there's not much competition over the three nest boxes. The latest any of our girls has laid is 5pm, they are usually done by 3 but they were only born last April, so we'll see what summer brings. Amelia only skips about one day a month. She is sweet and submissive, at the bottom of the pecking order. I can't imagine her picking excessively on the little ones when we introduce them, but time will tell. She doesn't love being picked up but she tolerates it. She is very curious and highly motivated by food. And of course she is terribly pretty. I would definitely like more as well. It's a shame we are so limited here in suburbia, not by ordinances but by space and the husband's unwillingness to build a second coop.
I love those green eggs too and always want EE's as well. I agree too on the GB's. Ours was the only one who still laid all winter long. She also is usually one of the first as well.

It was so nice here today. It is very tempting to plant some seeds but I resisted. I know that we're supposed to be hit with some really cold weather in the next week or so.

@MamaShell I wish we did get some snow. I am worried about the trees and other plants needing it, plus I am worried that not having the freezing temps will mean more bugs this Spring and Summer.

The TSC that I go to now has chicks!!!! Oh no!!!

Last edited:
This past few weeks have been so crazy...
i am SO glad I'm not dealing with snow, but we've had just as much rain. I can hardly keep the coop dry, let alone get a pass for a permit to put in a new septic. Blah!
Anyway, my hubs found a purple chicken. His was one of the chicks that did not make it after delivery in the fall. I never thought he would keep looking this long. She should be coming this week, she's just started laying, and she might be from Meyer!! I also got my first green egg today!! From one of the ameraucans. That means only one more girl to go, another ameraucana.
Ok, and call me crazy, but a feed store by me holds regular poultry swaps. I have to check it out first, but I think this might be a good excuse to hatch chicks (to sell). Plus, I'm definitely buying some of the insanely blue eggs I've seen on here. I "need" them. Gotta wait till quarantine time is up so I'll have the space, but trying to hold out till one of the girls decides to sit on them herself. Gee! Too much to do! Trying to get seeds started soon. And I need to move my garden. And I need my septic permit so my MIL can move out of the guest room and into her little trailer. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom