Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I love those green eggs too and always want EE's as well. I agree too on the GB's. Ours was the only one who still laid all winter long. She also is usually one of the first as well.

It was so nice here today. It is very tempting to plant some seeds but I resisted. I know that we're supposed to be hit with some really cold weather in the next week or so.

@MamaShell I wish we did get some snow. I am worried about the trees and other plants needing it, plus I am worried that not having the freezing temps will mean more bugs this Spring and Summer.

The TSC that I go to now has chicks!!!! Oh no!!!
I got my order today from Unleashed!!! LOVE everything... and they sent me free stuff too. (unless it was a mistake??) The order from asked about my pets and how I heard of them so I mentioned you... maybe that why the free treats and toy?? Anyway, I will def. order again. I sell kids books on eBay and typically add a free book in the order if they buy a lot or it doesn't put me over the next lb an I have to pay more for shipping. Everyone loves free stuff!!! I will send the website to my friend that loves all natural food/toys. I think she may buy too :)

Our girls are finally starting to pick up the laying again. We've been getting at least 3 eggs a day and up to 6 one day!
:)
Glad to hear!
Any news on the friends' chickens taking a hike??
So it begins. My local TSC has the tubs set up for the chicks due to arrive this week. I told the cashier I need to avoid the store.
Luckily my TSC doesn't sell them. The place I used to go gets them in a few weeks and has them all through the summer but I don't go there much anymore. Phewww. They buy from Ideal and I did get a few from them last year. I really like Meyer but it certainly was nice not to have to worry about shipping when buying from the TSC.

This past few weeks have been so crazy...
i am SO glad I'm not dealing with snow, but we've had just as much rain. I can hardly keep the coop dry, let alone get a pass for a permit to put in a new septic. Blah!
Anyway, my hubs found a purple chicken. His was one of the chicks that did not make it after delivery in the fall. I never thought he would keep looking this long. She should be coming this week, she's just started laying, and she might be from Meyer!! I also got my first green egg today!! From one of the ameraucans. That means only one more girl to go, another ameraucana.
Ok, and call me crazy, but a feed store by me holds regular poultry swaps. I have to check it out first, but I think this might be a good excuse to hatch chicks (to sell). Plus, I'm definitely buying some of the insanely blue eggs I've seen on here. I "need" them. Gotta wait till quarantine time is up so I'll have the space, but trying to hold out till one of the girls decides to sit on them herself. Gee! Too much to do! Trying to get seeds started soon. And I need to move my garden. And I need my septic permit so my MIL can move out of the guest room and into her little trailer.
barnie.gif
A purple chicken???? Can't wait to see pics!! Sorry about all the rain... We're getting freezing rain right now and I'd much rather get the snow. It's a sheet of ice outside!!! So dangerous! And I have to bring hot water out to the coops with me when we get this cause the door handles freeze shut.

Your MIL is living with you???? Oh boy, hope you get your permit soon. At least you got a green egg
wee.gif
Such fun!!!!

No word yet from my friend. I saw her on Sunday for a minute to pick up chicken food from her and she said all the 4H contacts were at a conference last week. She's hoping to get some answers this week. I certainly hope she does. All 3 roosters and now picking on the one. He can't come down off the roosts without being attacked. :(

This past few weeks have been so crazy...
i am SO glad I'm not dealing with snow, but we've had just as much rain. I can hardly keep the coop dry, let alone get a pass for a permit to put in a new septic. Blah!
Anyway, my hubs found a purple chicken. His was one of the chicks that did not make it after delivery in the fall. I never thought he would keep looking this long. She should be coming this week, she's just started laying, and she might be from Meyer!! I also got my first green egg today!! From one of the ameraucans. That means only one more girl to go, another ameraucana.
Ok, and call me crazy, but a feed store by me holds regular poultry swaps. I have to check it out first, but I think this might be a good excuse to hatch chicks (to sell). Plus, I'm definitely buying some of the insanely blue eggs I've seen on here. I "need" them. Gotta wait till quarantine time is up so I'll have the space, but trying to hold out till one of the girls decides to sit on them herself. Gee! Too much to do! Trying to get seeds started soon. And I need to move my garden. And I need my septic permit so my MIL can move out of the guest room and into her little trailer.
barnie.gif
Nice choice, a purple chicken?! Neat!

I understand your
barnie.gif
. Your MIL is living with you? Hang in there. I hope you can move her soon to her own place.
I got my order today from Unleashed!!! LOVE everything... and they sent me free stuff too. (unless it was a mistake??) The order from asked about my pets and how I heard of them so I mentioned you... maybe that why the free treats and toy?? Anyway, I will def. order again. I sell kids books on eBay and typically add a free book in the order if they buy a lot or it doesn't put me over the next lb an I have to pay more for shipping. Everyone loves free stuff!!! I will send the website to my friend that loves all natural food/toys. I think she may buy too :)
Great! Nah it wasn't a mistake, I told my son to be on the lookout for your order and he mentioned he would throw in something extra. That's really neat that you sell kids books on Ebay. Do you write the books or sell used books?

No word yet from my friend. I saw her on Sunday for a minute to pick up chicken food from her and she said all the 4H contacts were at a conference last week. She's hoping to get some answers this week. I certainly hope she does. All 3 roosters and now picking on the one. He can't come down off the roosts without being attacked. :(
Good luck, I hope that you'll have your chicken space back soon so you can plan out what you want to do with your own flock rather then worry about hers too. Must be frustrating.

I just got a text with this pic! Lol. It's not a great photo but she's a lav orp and she IS from Meyer. So exciting!

Oh and my green egg from yesterday.

And yes, my MIL is living with us. She has been for two years. It's not all bad, but I can't wait to move her about 150ft away! LOL.

Last edited:
I got this pic from my husband today. Our BCM finally laid her first egg. He caught her still on it so I know it was her. Not as dark as it could be but I'm happy with it. Adds a new dimension to the skelter. :)

Aloha! Well both my older girls are FINALY laying! Gorgeous green eggs (found out their dad is tufted auracana and mom a barred rock) the egg on the right was huge! It was only auroras 4th egg and a double yolker!! Can't wait till my Myers girls start laying. I think the hybrids should start next month.

Last edited:
I want a skelter so bad!!

X3! I love the off-white one. The Chicken Chick frequently gives away the red one but I've never entered.

Congrats to everyone on their new layers!

Clara the EE was our first layer back in September but has been molting for around a month now. I did notice her checking out the nest boxes a couple days ago when I was hanging out with the girls in the coop and thought that was curious. Then this morning when I went to check for eggs she was sitting in the middle nest box. I didn't want to get my hopes up, she could have just been hiding from the new round of snow. But when I looked out the window and saw her in the run I headed back out and what did I find but a lovely elongated pale blue-green egg. Yay!

I'm glad the extra protein this week seems to have helped. I've been grinding up black oil sunflower seeds in their feed for awhile and gave them some scraps of local organic chicken left over from soup I made. Normally I would feel a bit squeemish about giving them poultry but it would have been tossed, it is good quality and they could use it. Hoping it helps Victoria and Morgaine as well. For those curious the big round brown eggs (back middle, front ends) are from Amelia the Golden Buff and the smaller pinkish ones (back ends and front middle) are Baby the Buff Orp's.

Back
Top Bottom