MG Certified hatcheries/breeders?

X2Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Homer, GA
After DH, the kids and myself going through what we just did this weekend, I do NOT want to have to deal with this issue again. I'm doing everything I can to prevent it in the future. That includes only purchasing stock from MG certified sources. It seems none of the big hatcheries are certified for MG, and the list of breeders here on BYC, certified, is small as well.

I know theres always a chance wild birds can bring MG onto the property, but at least if I have all my bases covered, it will be easier to control. (MG infection was confirmed by State Lab testing last week)

Do breeders/hatcheries just not see this as a threat?

Kinda makes me wonder why more don't do this, when they already get NPIP certified.

For those that don't know what MG is, its Mycoplasma Gallisepticum
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203402.htm

Last edited:
I just wanted to let you know we have ordered birds and most of our original birds came from Ideal Hatchery all healthy and clean. Great customer service and the total is given before you pay. We got our games from them too.

The birds that brought the MG into our flock came from a nearby NPIP farm. There were six birds we kept them separate for 3 months, after mixing them with our flock we had terrible weather(tornado) and that is all it took for the MG to become symptomatic. It was a violent strain of MG and spread rapidly.

Most people that are part of the NPIP program do not know about MG or that they can go on a MG testing program.
Most people will say we're NPIP so we're tested for everything. NOT TRUE
NPIP is a great program but only test for Pullorum/Typhoid and in some states AI.
When we contacted the breeder he didn't know what MG was, when we described it and gave him info, he said "oh, that's what that is? I thought they just had a cold"
He will not have testing done because he will have to shut his business down til it's cleaned up.

The good news is chickens don't die from MG! MG is world wide. The threat is to the commercial industry.

We also had some birds from Welp, (through a dealer) we wouldn't use them again.

After researching we had found that you can give your eggs a tylan bath.

Would you give a more indepth description of this treatment? What is the dilution? How long is the egg(s) exposed/ submerged?

Thank you.​

Wow, I know this is an older thread, but it was extremely interesting to read. Mice do not carry it, there are no studies to say how prevalent it is in the US, and there are Independent flock owners that are MG certified. I would absolutely hate to think that anyone buys into the "it is everywhere and everyone has it" and continues to produce and sell diseased birds/eggs. Okay, rant over.

This is very interesting, so I am jumping on board. Maybe we can get the discussion back onto this. It is very important, in my opinion to cull birds that are sick. The reason there is a huge problem is because people are too soft to deal with doin' what you have to do sometimes (cull), and they sell off birds to people with healthy flocks, where one sick bird multiplies to 25, and unless they cull, they also help to spread the disease.
I am awaiting test results to tell me the results of my little flock, which consists of breeders of Silver Grey Dorking, Silkies, lavender guinea, Ameraucana, 1 barred rock & one bourbon red turkey.
If results come back with a respiratory disease, I know what I must do. Depopulate & restart.
he.gif
It's not fun for anyone, but it is our responsiblility once we decide to take on chickens.
And it's what all of you should also do unless you're going to keep an *all in* closed flock & practice *strict* bio-security measures to ensure any diseases your birds have stay on your property and doesn't spread to other flocks.
But most don't do that it seems, they are ill-informed so they only help to spread the disease. Ugghh.
barnie.gif
It's so frustrating bc that's how my perfectly clean birds became infected. And this lady is still selling birds, even after I told her. Despicable.

If the breeders of the silkies were not showing signs of illness, the percentage of vertical/horizontal transmission is lower. i.e. Signs of illness=Higher transmission, No Signs=Lower transmission. At this point I would quarantine any that are showing any signs of illness. You may be able to stop it from transmitting throughout your flock.

You are right, it does not appear that they have done any cultures/tests for mycoplasma yet. Depending on the test they do, it could take a week or so for results.

It is a very long week.
barnie.gif
Oh it's too late for separation. 75% of my flock had a bit where they had clear runny noses through all this. Now none of my birds are showing signs of illness (And I haven't given them medication) so I'm just going to depopulate most likely once the rest of the results come in.
I am just glad I will be getting to keep the little baby silky. My splash bearded silky rooster, Big Worm, is amazing. So at least I'll get to keep a piece of him after he's gone. It definitely has been a long week. I just am ready for this problem to be resolved.
I never knew until I got out on my own & had my own, well kept, flock how many nasty germs chickens can get. I was doing the buy, sell, swap thing with locals. Bc I never experienced a problem like this. Now I know how stupidly reckless that is.
he.gif

And frankly, I am not surprised it didn't happen before now. I will be ordering only from tested hatcheries next time & will be keeping a closed flock. Anything new I get will come from reliable sources.
I just wish all this knowledge had been available to me when I started. Not after learning a hard lesson.
hmm.png

Yes, vaccinated birds, regardless of the strain used for vaccination, will become carriers. The vaccinations were made for the commercial industry to slow the rate of transmission between birds and houses. MG slows the growth and weight gain of infected birds, so the commercial industry needed something to help with the losses of the broilers. It was never intended for breeders. Most MG vaccines actually state "breeder poultry" as a contraindication for the vaccine.

There are 3 MG certified Independent Flocks in OR. More are sprouting up all over the country, as the word spreads about this nasty disease. Here is a link that you can use to look up information state by state.

http://poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

OMG. I was researching MG, as I frequently do in my spare time.
sad.png
I came across this really old thread and it made me want to vomit https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/219205/ideal-mg-discussion/60 I see both sides, but wow. After the loss I've had, I don't see it as this harmless little cold that makes them stronger as is presented in that thread. I am much more apt to agree with the Chicken Doctor that there is no evidence to support the "95% of all flocks have it" claim.

OMG! I had not seen that one. I am astonished that Ideal Poultry has that stance. I wonder if they still do? I am amazed that such a large producer would state such absolute garbage. Wow. Just wow.

Ok, so I've returned from my chicken depression & here's my random information & opinion
wee.gif
....hope it's of use & not too late. I realize this is an old thread.

I know of someone in Clermont,Georgia that is certified MG-free. & I just placed an order from Whitmore Farm today actually. Now that it's time to start over, it's proving harder to find MG free places that I initially thought. Whitmore and this woman Sara, are the only ones I've found so far. Her shipping is $50 and she has an 8 chick minimum. Her place is called Mossy Creek Poultry (She's also on FB). I will paste what she told me she carries and how she ships, etc. so you don't have to play 50 questions like I did
roll.png
I'll also post links to one of her CL ads at the bottom (fix link by removing the spaces) so you can double check the info and see the pictures. I'll be ordering from her once I have enough money to order her Bue Isbars
love.gif
If any of you come up with any more places, I'm also interested to know. I won't be having any more chickens again without ordering from an MG free farm/hatchery, or have birds tested before they come to my property.

This is serious busniess yo!
cool.png

What she told me today: Thank you for your consideration. Yes, I have a minimum requirement of 8 chicks per order. You can mix and match any breeds you would like, and I will includes extra chicks for extra warmth as well. Shipping is USPS Express, and is $50- which includes a Horizon MicroEnvironments box, grogel, and a heat pack, if necessary. All egg/chick shipments are sent with proper NPIP paperwork. I will contact you on the ship date with the tracking number, and your chicks should arrive the day after I ship them. I require a $20 non refundable deposit to hold your order, which also goes toward your final total. I begin shipping in March, as weather allows. You're no bother at all! I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have. Yes, I have mottled ameraucanas, silver laced wyandottes, and isbars (limited availability). I also have a couple barnyard mixes- a leghorn x isbar, and marans x isbar, both of which should lay a green-olive colored egg. Prices for the chicks: silver laced wyandotte and mottled ameraucanas- $7/each , isbars $20/each, and barnyard mix $5/each. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Nice girl huh?

Facebook: https: //www. facebook. com/mossy creek poultry
CL: atlanta .craigslist .org /nat /grd /4867490618 .html

Back
Top Bottom