Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

It's not day 1 until they've been set for 24 hours......that always screws me up.
....and it's not that important as 21 days is a just a target,
that can be missed by a day or two either way.
So I have a target date of the 17th, but it’s been cold so it could be later..plus it’s just a guideline. But she has been super consistent brooding those eggs. She gets off one time a day to eat and poop, and those poops are NASTY!

So I have a target date of the 17th, but it’s been cold so it could be later..plus it’s just a guideline. But she has been super consistent brooding those eggs. She gets off one time a day to eat and poop, and those poops are NASTY!
Cold weather won't change hatch duration.
Nasty as they are, they are good to see...
...better that than wondering if she's pooping in the nest, or not pooping at all.

Cold weather won't change hatch duration.
Nasty as they are, they are good to see...
...better that than wondering if she's pooping in the nest, or not pooping at all.

Another update. I was in the coop this afternoon and enticed Miss Annie Yokely off her nest with some black soldierfly larva (her favorite treat). I took advantage and candled the eggs and they are where they should be developmentally. Eyes and Veins were showing up nicely.

Another update. I was in the coop this afternoon and enticed Miss Annie Yokely off her nest with some black soldierfly larva (her favorite treat). I took advantage and candled the eggs and they are where they should be developmentally. Eyes and Veins were showing up nicely.
Love that name :). Good to hear they are developing nicely.

we have some Isbars and Iowas doing great but the Chanteclers had none developing

4 of 10 BCM x CCL were duds on Day 6.....the rest were good and the OE and Marans I cant see hardly nothing but hope. I got to show a non-chicken person a moving embryo with candling, she was thrilled!

Broody mama her 3wo chicks are wanting to spend the night in the main nests instead of the floor nest...so I moved the floor nest to a roost, will still probably have to cover the main nests tho.
Not sure why she just doesn't take them to a roost or poop board, Fickle Chickens.
upload_2018-4-10_14-34-20.png

Do you both brood right in the coop? I am too nervous to do that with the way the other hens act...
I have a temporary wall I put up for broody to set and hatch unmolested by other birds,
(ETA: I also have limited nests, so that's another reason to separate)
I take the wall down at about 2-3 weeks after hatch. Mama fights her pecking order fights, takes a day or two for things to settle, never had chicks outright attacked, they shelter in floor nest or creep feeder area while mama rumbles.

Also brood my incubated chicks out there from about 1 week after hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Last edited:
Do you both brood right in the coop? I am too nervous to do that with the way the other hens act...
I don’t know any better, this is my first time! My broody is left unmolested by the others so far.... I have seen her fend for herself when off the nest quite nicely, going after one of the top 2 hens by jumping up and landing on her back! All of the hens are staying away from the nest box and giving her space. 6 more days!

So I set 36BCM....got one pipping now... according to the incubator this one is a tad early....hope to see a few more tomorrow....was just anxious and had to go check at 1am you know how it is right......

Back
Top Bottom