Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

We got about 5 in of snow. Enough so I could go sledding! Yay! Had a blast. Thought my face was going to fall off! Was out shoveling and cleaning coop, etc and then went shedding. All worth it. lol Be sure to enjoy the snow!

Maybe 2-3 inches here. They are calling for up to 7 inches of lake effect tonight. All I know for sure is that the wind is howling off of the bay. Straight north wind is giving me a reading of minus 16 on my weather station.

Lots of birds coming to the windowsill to feed. Blue jays; chickadees, titmouse; doves; and lots of different woodpeckers. Even the goldfinches have returned. Half a dozen squirrels sit there too, much to the aggravation of the pup. I should probably clean the nose prints off of the glass.

Straight north wind is giving me a reading of minus 16 on my weather station.
So it calculates windchill?

Got down to about zero over night, pretty much windless all day and sunny.
Birds were pretty subdued, but still active enough, still got 10 eggs.
I soaked some rolled oats in sav-a chick solution to give them a boost,
didn't want to put out an open waterer.

Tonight wind picks back up and low of -11 forecast with windchills of negative 20-25.
Then things start looking up....glad the deep freeze is not going to last too long.

Tonight is the lunar eclipse too.
Ooo, thanks for the notice!.....did not know.
Now if only it stays clear, and I can stay awake that late :D
upload_2019-1-20_17-5-25.png

High here was below zero with an unpleasant sharp north wind. Even my Kubota complained about starting in the cold today. Chickens are confined inside and happy to be there. Horses seem to be indifferent to the cold, but they have hair like yaks. Max the Dachshund discovered after going halfway down the driveway that he was too cold to walk back, and had to be rescued and carried home :rolleyes:

We actually had quite a bit of wind yesterday (Sunday) and about 10 deg. I shoveled out the chicken run and the hens decided walking 4' on the cleared ground to their water was still too much to ask. Guess I'll have to take a broom out there next time so her highnesses can walk outside.

Peaches the pig was cozy in her shelter. I have a warming pad, walls lined with straw bales and 3' of loose straw in the center for her to burrow in. The top of her shelter is a truck cap, so the windows help provide some solar heat too. I went inside to top off the straw and make sure the pad was working and it was pretty cozy in there. She only came out to eat and went right back inside.

Did ya'll stay up for the Super blood, wolf moon eclipse? It was pretty cool and the sky was so clear!

it was -17 deg actual when I left the house for work this morning. Stay warm!

Back
Top Bottom