Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

OMG...my roosters will NOT shut up. They have been crowing non-stop for over an hour. Ever since the 19 week olds found their voices they seem (especially Sparkie) to crow all day. I swear it's a crowing contest. The youngsters have also become quite amorous; but awkwardly so. Not sure I'm gonna keep them as they are really beating up the girls & aren't very friendly (compared to Bigboy).

I've always had red tails around here; in fact, up until this year 2 kind of resident ones. Now it's just the 1, which may be the juvenile from last year that drove me crazy screeching incessantly all day long...didn't see it at all yesterday. This year I've seen more turkey buzzards, which don't really bother me, but Bigboy always gives the girls warning when they come around.

Kali really had a tough time at bedtime last night. Mean Girl (MG) would not leave her alone. I watched thru the windows & know I can't interrupt the pecking order establishment..but Kali kept trying to sleep in the corner where her & Rana would cuddle together; MG kept pecking her, Kali would jump down run out of the coop into the run & cry. It all finally settled down.

I just may have to make an egg casserole today, too...grab a few taters from the garden...hmmm...

@Opa LOL! those are some BIZARRE looking taters!!

Last edited:
For the past 2 days one of my free range ducks has been acting off. Getting lost, wandering off from the others, not eating or drinking, she is 12 weeks old. Today she is having what looks like seizures and she is very weak. She also has ooze from her left eye. What can cause this?

It was a good year for sweet potatoes apparently. Here's my biggest. I had another two that were intertwined, inseparable unless broken. They are still attached and cured, awaiting storage. They'll stay that way until it's time to eat them. It was also a good year for the black beans. There's 6 lbs of them in my kitchen, shelled. They were a pole bean. The bush beans (kidney) didn't do as well because of the wet weather and I only have 1 1/2 lbs of those. Most molded.

The winter migration started around mid-August (right about when my chickens first started molting - they're still going strong). I've been seeing an increase in hawks flying overhead for more than a month already. Meanwhile the cranes, while flocking, have not left yet. My young rooster is so jumpy about what's overhead that he will often initiate panic in the flock when a leaf falls from the tree.

My buff brahma, Poppy, is still hanging in there, though looking no better. She still eats, poops fine and acts otherwise fairly perky given the circumstances. She does seem to have some throat irritation and her eye is totally unusable.

Hope to see a bunch of you at Fowl Fest in a couple weeks!!! Had some late in the year hatches from some of our broody hens....

Yes, my daughter and I will be showing some of our Silkies. We've already started bathing some of them...this pullet was not impressed at all with her bathing and blow drying...
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom