Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Gosh darn dog jumped the fence and got ahold of one of the ISA Browns today. So I called dh and had him pick up another roll of 5ft fence to finish closing off the back corner. We took down the snow fence we had been using and put the new stuff up right away. And what does he do? Almost clear the 5ft fence. Aaaarg! Needless to say, he will be wearing the e collar outside at all times now. That's the 3rd time he's gotten into the birds and the 2nd time he's killed one.

Hello everyone, first time chicken raiser here. My baby chicks are 4-5 weeks old, when can I place them in the coop outside? Right now they're in the garage.
Thanks!

Kicked the dinner chicks out to the barn. Almost fully feathered, and wow, they must weigh over 1 lb each already! Stupid, tho...hid in the corner of their pen until I shooshed them to the food dish. Glad the weather broke as there was no more room in the brooder!

Hello everyone, first time chicken raiser here. My baby chicks are 4-5 weeks old, when can I place them in the coop outside? Right now they're in the garage.
Thanks!
WELCOME
frow.gif

It sounds like they ill they be by themselves in the coop outside?

We have a large outside coop with a divider in it to put our chicks in when they reach 6 weeks old so they can socialize with older chickens but still have a protected area. The chicks never mingle with our older chickens but can see them through the chicken wire. When they are about 16-18 weeks or closer to the older chickens size, we integrate them. They have one of those animal heating pads in their area when they are still young at 6 week during these colder temps.

I would put them in it and if you have a way to put a heat pad in there, they should do just fine. Darn bulb style heat lamps make me worry about a fire, but very safely secured and the smaller wattage would work too.

Come to our Chickenstock function in June :) Would love to meet you there! Info links below

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom