Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Sounds like a plan! Yeah, we were real creative with the Sicilian Buttercup and named him Buttercup!
lol.png
He and Ms. SLW are just a hanging together for a few days at Broody Hall before we introduce them to the rest of the flock!

Love the name!

The little darlin (Buttercup that is) was trying to crow yesterday....came out as a rooster who'd been crowing for 2 days straight! A bit hoarse!

Quote:
Looks really good so far! Its nice to have someone helping you out with all that digging!
We are pretty much neighbors is seems! I'm over in Grant
frow.gif
Howdy neighbor!

Hi neighbor!
frow.gif
Grant is just 12 miles from me. Feel free to come by for a visit anytime. PM me for my phone number if you'd like.

Good morning.

I don't have anything chicken related going on right now, but we do have veggies growing.....I hope.

Yesterday I was finally able to get the last of my sweet corn planted, about 1/2 acre. I bought this 2 row planter for my old John Deere and I'm not sure I got the depth adjustment where I wanted it......looks to be a bit deep, so we'll see and make adjustments to it if needed next year.

16 tomato plants and 30 pepper plants in the greenhouse......still got room for more but Judy thinks I put in way too many tomatoes, there is also another 16 in the small garden.

Seems to be a abundance of moles in the yard....pesky durn things. And wild rabbits seem to think they have a safe haven here...not!

Seems we have an adequate amount of rain for quite a while, anyone know how to turn it off? ;-)

Quote:
I need to till my garden. I am experienting with straw in the tomato rows so I don't have to till. But it looks like I have tons of weeds growing up through the straw. maybe it needs to be thicker. Trying to figure it out before I straw the whole garden.

Strawberrys are feeling the effects of all the rain. They have some sort of rot. Amazing how many were affected when we went and picked yesterday. We went to Degroots and they have tons of berries ready, but they aren't getting the customers. It really surprises me. I got 40# cleaned and in the freezer yesterday. 7 gallon bags full. I need 10 gallon bags to get through the winter for jam making. So we will be going back sometime soon.

Have a great day everyone!

Sarah

Sarah, I put straw mulch around my plants in the greenhouse and so far no weeds. I put grass clippings (lord knows we have an abundance of them this year) around everything in my small garden (30' x 40') and so far all is weedless there too. My daughter in laws sister swears by grass clippings and has been using them for 3 years. The 1 acre garden/field will get no mulch, just several passes with the row crop cultivator. It is planted to sweet corn and green beans set up in the proper width rows for the cultivator.....trying to make it easy on myself
lol.png

Quote:
I did put grass clippings up next to the plants than straw. I need to get some more clippings raked up
smile.png

My dad loves using grass clippings too.

We have 3 gardens and the sweet corn will just get tilled a few times. The other 2 would be better off mulched as the one by the chickens is all fenced in and too hard to use the big tiller. The 3rd garden is hill plants, so I will have to mulch that soon.

It was great meeting folks at Chickenstock..... I wish I hadn't had to leave so soon
sad.png
Had a Graduation party and a birthday party that day
tongue.png
That must be the busiest weekend in the year!

The new birds are all doing great! Those silly BLRW keep trying to roost in the maple at night
tongue.png
But they are so sweet and calm when I relocate them to the coop
wink.png
The turkeys are adorable..... sometimes my DD gets them out and naps with them
big_smile.png
The little guys...serama and japs are still getting acclimated. And the Blue Frizzle Cochin banty I got from Frizzledhen is starting to find her place.... being the only mature bird I brought home, she has gotten a lot of unwanted attention from a couple of my roos. But each day that goes by, they all calm down and settle in a bit more
wink.png

And a HUGE thanks to those that adopted the kittens! I'm so glad they found loving homes! I hope they are doing well
smile.png

I told DH that next year we are coming to Chickenstock again!

Is my chick just sleepy or is she sick?
One of our EE's that we have been calling Chipmunk has me a bit worried. I went out to check on the chicks a bit ago and she was toppled over on her side. I had thought at first that we had lost a chick, but when I picked her up she blinked her eyes and kicked at me a bit, then fell asleep in my hand. My guess is that she was in a deep sleep and one of the others knocked her over but didn't wake her up.
I attempted to rouse her and got her a little bit awake, enough to chirp a few times. When I sat her in front of the waterer she sat there drinking for a little bit before wandering back under the heat light and dozing off. She wasn't drinking constantly, just dipping her head every now and again for a minute or two.
She did wake up a little bit as I was watching them and ran off to be near the others, but she is sluggish and sometimes follows them halfway then falls asleep. She is normally quite peppy and skittish like the rest of the chicks, but we had noticed last night that she didn't really seem to care if she got picked up or if there was a hand in the brooder. She would just stand there and get petted a bit then run off a little ways.
The brooder temperature is fine, no drafts that could chill them and the others are running around, chirping with general livelihood. Chipmunk just seems off today.

So is she just sleepy today or could she be sick?

Edit: I've brought her inside to keep an eye on her. She's still sleepy and hardly wakes. Am I gonna lose a chick?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom