Mike's Pasta Fajioli

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
Heck we're expecting a really bad storm. So today I did up a 4 pound corned beef, ala BigMike's Baking Bag Corned Beef Dinner.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/173521/bigs-baking-bag-corned-beef-dinner

Many times I've used the juice/broth in the baking bag as a soup base for extra flavor. SO I did too today. Enjoy

Mis en place

1 bag Great Northern Beans, soaked overnight in 4 quarts cold water

2 large yellow onions, small dice
6 long carrots diced
4 stalks celery, diced
2 Tsp Herbs de Provence
1 Tsp Dry Thyme
1 32 Oz can chicken stock
32 Oz cold tap water
half a bunch of fresh parsley chopped fine
3 bay leaves
4 peppercorns

14 oz small diced tomatoes

4 oz. dry pasta, like small elbow pasta

the used rind of some parmesan or romano cheese

Preparation

Drain soaked beans, add first group of ingredients to a huge roasting pan and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Skim any scum. Cook 2 1/2 hours, add diced tomatoes. Simmer another hour. Taste soup for flavor and how cooked beans are. If ready add dry pasta, simmer another 12 minutes. Turn off heat. If you have made the Baking Bag Corned Beef and the pan juices to the soup, if you do not add 1 Tsp Salt and the rind from an old hunk of Parmesan or Romano. Let soup sit for an hour before serving. My old adopted Grandma Furiosi taught me the chesse rind trick long before I worked in restaurants. If you do add the juices from the corned beef bag do not add salt or the cheese rind. It will be jamming with flavor.

That looks really good!!! What time is dinner served....I'll bring dessert.
big_smile.png

LOL Betty,
But I think you should stay put, we're expecting a really bad storm. I had an eye appointment for my glaucoma, the doctor's office just cancelled due to storms that should be raging while we were scheduled to be driving there. And we're rescuing a 10 year old female dashchund and the Rescue Delivery guy is racing up the Coast from North Carolina (left this morning) with her in tow... So I was texting him pics of the food to motivate him to come asap. My wife is beside herself, heck I am too...

So, ahhhh, knowing all that, what's for dessert. LOL

Mike

Are we talking winter storm? I'll defiantly stay home if it's a winter storm. Being from the Texas Gulf Coast snow and ice scare me to death. I'd die in a cold climate, I wouldn't know how to survive. In any case if I was coming how about some chocolate chip cookies?

I know I've been away a while, my eyes are playing hell on me. Been making the same old stuff, well been making a lot of soup. I also had pneumonia, just shaking that after almost 3 weeks, scared me pretty good actually... Up the upside now. This is my most favorite place to post recipes, really easy software to use and the people are the best...

Buckle up all you East Coasters !!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom