Mille Cochin Info

Pics

JOSHSBANTAMS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Hey everyone. Let's get a new Mille Cochin topic going. I'm still here to help anyone that is willing to breed these birds.

Josh

Moderator note: Please stay civil and enjoy the discussion. If any signs of trolling continue into this thread, it will be closed with no further "new threads allowed on this topic".

Last edited:
Thank you for starting a new one! I'm putting my pics back up...

Okay..here is my hen--she's got a lot of white:
MilleFleurHen.jpg

MilleFleurHen2.jpg

HenButt.jpg

MilleHen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be keen for a new thread. There s definitely people in Australia working on them. I finally have a quad to start breeding with (Have attached some poor pics from my muddy pen, sorry it's been raining here) but still lots of work to do. They must eventually breed true as the duccles have a Millifluer so it has to be possible. Just lots of hard work!
Nice start, i was pretty close to getting the standard when i had to move and sell all of mine.

IMG_0015.JPG

A s Amy mentioned, it is important to consider the quality of mottling in the birds you introduce. When you look at the standard for Mottle, the white tips should be quite small compared to many Mottles you'll see. In fact it's described as a white pearl at the tip of the feather. I think its supposed to be 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Additionally the number of tipped feathers is rather small - without checking, I think it is 1 in 3 or only about 33% of the overall bird.

Many Mottles have what's called "hysterical mottling" which tends to be larger amounts and sizes of white tips. These tend to whiten with each molt the most. They look more like a black bird splashed with white which may even include fully white feathers.

Look for "older birds" maybe a year or more that have the type you need plus nice smaller pearl tips and minimal white feathers.

Dave

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to get one of Lynn's roos at a meet up and he is lovely. Great personality also, he is in the chick starter cage with a few mellow hens (where the chicks get to start being outside) and he is very good with them.
Helen,

So happy to hear that your little roo (from me) is doing well. I have Bantam Cochin roos in all my grow-out cages (started chicks). They make the "best" Baby Daddy's ~!

Speaking of Wheaten based birds from MF pens. . .Last year I hatched a group of wheatens from my MF project. After a lot of discussion on line, the conclusion is that they were "Blue Silver Wheaten with Red". Some of the hens have more complete breast lacing and others are nearly clean breasted. The have blue columbian hackles and tails. They are quite striking, even if not recognized.This year I've put together a breeding pen of them and have been trying to stabilize the color a bit. Current chicks are a bit young yet, but I'll try to get some adult pics together to post.Dave

Here's the wheaten varoety I mentioned above

This is one of the hens with the most complete lacing.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom