Mille Cochin Info

Pics
Hey Kelly, you're off to an excellent start with the pair and eggs from Tate. I REALLY like that cockerel and I think I've already voiced that when seeing his pic a week or so ago on another thread. Nice job scoring him
smile.png

I think the biggest issues we are all having is, of course, type. My birds are from Lynne and she bred Tom's buff columbians into the mix and, fortunately, that has created super nice type in the hen dept... for some reason, it isn't creating that great type with the roos.. they are too narrow (all of them, not just Lynne's) , stand too high and lack feathering in the cushion.

As far as color, we are all all over the map. Like the pic you showed of the two hens.. very different. Just be selective when culling but wait til they are fully mature to make those decisions as the mille color really changes as they grow out. Look for hens with good background color as well as black chevrons equally proportioned on the body. A "chevron" is the black stripe before the white tip on the feather. The columbian gene restricts this pattern so it is important to get away from that a bit before you start seeing nice mille pattern.

For the roos, many are turning out too dark and I believe this will cause problems further down the line... try to keep your nice red/mahogany ones with lots of white tips.

Good Luck and have fun.... and, if anyone would like to further this info, be my guest!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the info! I'll try my best to see what I get! My chicks are due 10/2, so fingers crossed for a good hatch. I just candled them and have 16 growing nicely...not too bad considering the mailman left them in my driveway in the sun!
rant.gif

Welcome to the thread Kelly!

You are going to love your little buggars...

We have TWO Brinsea Octagon 20's with the turners and humidity modules. I don't think my heart could take anything else. I would have practical conniption fits without the humidity modules! Peace of mind is worth any price for me.

They are great... don't have to think about them at all. The cabinet ones are beautiful... the smaller ones are keeping me honest! Otherwise I would be a hatching fool and get kicked out of my neighborhood. My husband thinks we should get the cabnet though... oh I love that man!

Kelly -

THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for buying those 2 birds!!

I had made a deal with myself that I was gonna buy them after lunch if they were still there.

I have a pair from her that I got a few weeks ago and they are FABULOUS birds! You will be sooooooooooo thrilled with them!

You are so funny Katie!

Thank goodness for Kelly... otherwise you would be mac & cheesing it for a month
wink.png

I am still so glad that you are happy with yours... my husband still misses that roo... but he is enjoying his sleep more.

Hello Ya'll,
I am so happy I found this thread and will soon be a proud owner of three Mille Fluer Bantam Cochins I just purchased them on Eggbid From Jeanne Riddle in Oregon. My rooster is from Lynne also known as wwmicasa1 on BYC. The first of my two pullets parents is two birds bred from Ralph Phillips. My second pullet is from Mike here on Byc called Bantyman. So I'm super excited, they Will be on there way to Florida Monday and hopefully I will spread this amazing new breed around this state and try to make progress in making this color a standard color for Cochin bantams. I will post pictures as soon as I recieve my new babies!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, crzyboutDuccles , please DO post pictures! I'm having so much fun seeing all the MFCs!

MsBear ~ perhaps you could help us understand a little about what to excpect as the color develops on our chicks. Does the butterscotch color usually fill in first & then the black & white tips or does it vary?

I have two pullets who have a lot of white but have LOTS of the black chevrons.
36635_img_3756-1.jpg
36635_img_3661-1.jpg

I'm getting two more with lots of butterscotch but not as much black. Can I expect more black to develop on the brown birds and the brown to develop on the white w/black chevrons?

I do notice more brown on my two white girls since I first saw them. I'm taking lots of photos to document the color changes as they mature.

This is SO fascinating!

And I'm so very glad that such a nice bunch of people are also sharing this journey...

Back
Top Bottom