Mille Cochin Info

From reading earlier posts on this thread; the mottling is added to help with the black bands/ chevrons/ breast flowers.

- Reason why I'm really looking forward to using my f4 Mottled/MF in my breeding program. These 2 are a good example, she has pretty good type, and working towards decent MF color and pattern except her chevrons only extend along her back. Bred to him I'm hoping to get some birds with nice type and better pattern.

(Bad picture! I don't always take nice pictures
tongue.png
)
(Macho just jumped up there, don't know what's up with that stuck-out wing feather..)
Since you shared one of Macho, I'll share one of Tuba. I can't believe Chipper still isn't laying??? How much longer do you think it will take?

ETA: Very sorry about Ruby Rod. I was just reading back through the post and noticed. I'm so glad I have some of his kids. He was beautiful. :(

Last edited:
Sorry, Stephanie. I still have an overabundance of boys.

Tuba is looking very nice! Chipper was hatched May 23rd and not all of my pullets hatched in this time frame are laying yet. Should be soon.

Would like some opinions on my Mille rooster from you guys. He is much better type than my last rooster but the MF's are a work in progress as is everything else.

My breeding program took a big hit recently. Ruby Rod died. I just got the results of the necropsy back and he died from E Coli?? It was sudden - he was perfectly fine, then one night there was something wrong with him, the next morning he was dead. I haven't talked to the vet yet, the tech is who gave me the results. I'm out there busting my butt keeping the pens clean with fresh shavings/ straw, I scrub the waterers daily. I don't get it. This really sucks. and why does it always have to be your best/ favorite birds?? Ruby Rod??? He was my FIRST chicken this year, along with Inky.
sad.png
Oh Nancy...not Ruby Rod. OMG I feel so bad for you. I would just give up if my Manolete passed. You can't help having favorites. My heart goes out to you.
hit.gif

Thanks Lynne - and Amy
The hardest lesson I've learned in chickens is that if you're going to lose a bird, you're going to lose your favorite. I haven't totally gotten over losing my Toodee (Silkie) earlier this summer, and I doubt I'll ever totally get over losing Ruby Rod.
At least I have several of his offspring - who I know are from him.

Back
Top Bottom