Mille Cochin Info

Oh Nancy, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know Ruby Rod was a very special boy. It is so hard to lose them and when they go it is so quick sometimes we don't even have a chance to say goodbye.
hugs.gif

I am sure you do everything in your power to keep your birds healthy. Sometimes E coli grows secondarily after death so it may be hard to say what he died of. Our pathologist here at K State has found E coli in birds we have sent in but he said it occurs in most specimens after death and is hard to determine if it was present before or after death. We had several issues with migratory birds this fall and illness. I wonder if the warmer weather has caused some birds to hang around longer than they normally would and expose our domestic birds to illness.

A s Amy mentioned, it is important to consider the quality of mottling in the birds you introduce. When you look at the standard for Mottle, the white tips should be quite small compared to many Mottles you'll see. In fact it's described as a white pearl at the tip of the feather. I think its supposed to be 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Additionally the number of tipped feathers is rather small - without checking, I think it is 1 in 3 or only about 33% of the overall bird.
Many Mottles have what's called "hysterical mottling" which tends to be larger amounts and sizes of white tips. These tend to whiten with each molt the most. They look more like a black bird splashed with white which may even include fully white feathers.
Look for "older birds" maybe a year or more that have the type you need plus nice smaller pearl tips and minimal white feathers.
Dave
This is really good info.!
Though my Blue Mottled girl added a lot of white in her molt my Mottled rooster hasn't gained much more at all in his molt. He is "older", had some long spurs when I bought him. I bred him to a Mille Fleur hen for my Mille project.
Pappy -

His, yet to be named, 1/2 mille fleur son -

Last edited:
Thanks Lynne - and Amy
The hardest lesson I've learned in chickens is that if you're going to lose a bird, you're going to lose your favorite. I haven't totally gotten over losing my Toodee (Silkie) earlier this summer, and I doubt I'll ever totally get over losing Ruby Rod.
At least I have several of his offspring - who I know are from him.
Isn't that the truth!
So sorry you lost him.

Oh Nancy, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know Ruby Rod was a very special boy. It is so hard to lose them and when they go it is so quick sometimes we don't even have a chance to say goodbye.
hugs.gif

I am sure you do everything in your power to keep your birds healthy. Sometimes E coli grows secondarily after death so it may be hard to say what he died of. Our pathologist here at K State has found E coli in birds we have sent in but he said it occurs in most specimens after death and is hard to determine if it was present before or after death. We had several issues with migratory birds this fall and illness. I wonder if the warmer weather has caused some birds to hang around longer than they normally would and expose our domestic birds to illness.
Several chicken friends here in central OK have lost a number of birds suddenly and the warm weather and migratory birds are suspect. I lost 9 chicks (Ameraucanas that i was brooding for friends) to Cocidiosis while still in the brooder?!

Quote: I just got done treating all the chicks in my brooders for coccidia as well... only thing i can think of is maybe the shavings were infected? they had no contact with any outside birds or anything else... (a number were from shiped eggs). fortunately i noticed the chicks not thriving soon enough and got them started on treatment soon enough that i only lost 1... out of 26 chicks spread between my 3 brooders...

I had the same problem with Cocci last year. Lost 10 birds due to it. It was the oddest thing. None of them had the chance to come into contact with it except for the shavings.

Also wound up that the feed that I was told was medicated was not...will never make that mistake again!

I just got done treating all the chicks in my brooders for coccidia as well... only thing i can think of is maybe the shavings were infected? they had no contact with any outside birds or anything else... (a number were from shiped eggs). fortunately i noticed the chicks not thriving soon enough and got them started on treatment soon enough that i only lost 1... out of 26 chicks spread between my 3 brooders...
It has been VERY dry and windy here. Could be the wind blew in dust infected with it while i had the garage door open when i was cleaning. They started dying the next day.

Usually cocci is from a wet area. The cocci need moisture to feed on.

I was going through cockerels today and decided to take some photos of things I have noticed. I'm afraid that some may be focusing only on the color and not on the conformation of the birds. Don't get me wrong! Eye candy is something great to look at, but if you are hoping to show this variety in the future (which I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to!) disqualifications should be avoided and especially breeding those disqualifications will only hurt the variety.

Here was something I noticed that was a huge kick in the gut. This is a split wing. It is genetic and is very difficult to get rid of if bred. If anyone sees this, think twice about using it. It will disqualify you in a show ring. Often, you can see it from a distance as a low or "loose" wing carriage. Upon closer inspection, you see a large gap of feathers that make the wing like it is two halves of a wing.

A view of the underside and both wings:

The bird was not dead at this point I promise! He was too busy looking at the deer in the forest behind us.

I realize I am very new to the thread and the color, but this is just something that I feel needs to be brought to attention. Keep good tabs on your birds and their faults and good points! Cull against the disqualifications when you see them and you'll have a nice and uniform flock to sit back and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom