Mille Cochin Info

Like he's telling her to get out of the food bowl!
gig.gif

One of the chicks from Shazam. This little girl has been a big hit when people see her but most don't like the price tag. That is okay, I can always use her!

Love it! That is the most darling chick, I think I might have to have some frizzle cochins this spring!
Fricassee... who might turn out to be a cockerel after all... but who's still adorable!

I'm really enjoying my frizzles, and excited about these 2, too;

One thing I'm noticing with my current hatch of chicks is some of them are coming out with this green (willow?) leg color. I'm going to have to go back through the pictures of my first generation chicks and see if its showing up there. I didn't notice it in them, but maybe that was just my oversight. The first thing I did was check Porky's (frizzle roo) legs, as out of 4 frizzles hatched so far, 3 have green legs, but his legs are yellow. Unless it's a recessive trait? Anyone have any ideas?

I'm really enjoying my frizzles, and excited about these 2, too;

One thing I'm noticing with my current hatch of chicks is some of them are coming out with this green (willow?) leg color. I'm going to have to go back through the pictures of my first generation chicks and see if its showing up there. I didn't notice it in them, but maybe that was just my oversight. The first thing I did was check Porky's (frizzle roo) legs, as out of 4 frizzles hatched so far, 3 have green legs, but his legs are yellow. Unless it's a recessive trait? Anyone have any ideas?
Nancy, Males can have yellow legs, but still be carriers of the willow leg gene, Females are not "carriers" - they either have willow legs or not. So if all your hens have yellow legs, the problem is with your male - irregardless of his leg color.

Thank you Gail! That is very helpful.

I haven't checked everyone else yet - that's a job for a weekend - and the first chicks hatched of this bunch I'm not positive of their parentage. (Unless they're frizzle, of course, then I know they're out of Porky.) The chicks that are hatching from the middle of Dec on out are from those that have been paired or grouped up, so I know the rooster for sure and the hens I'll either know or it'll be one of 3. Should have done that earlier, but, I'm learning!

When I first started crossing Mottleds and MF, I got green legs so I culled out the producers of it from the breeding program and haven't had a problem since. It is quite fascinating, as Gail explains.

Back
Top Bottom