Mille Cochin Info

Mike what a cute picture of Kipper being a giraffe. Thank you for that, I needed that smile.

I can't express how much everyone's support has meant to me right now. Lynne your post made me cry all over again, but I think this time it was a healing cry. Thank you so much everyone for your comfort

Nancy, i've said it elsewhere but i'll say it again... I may not have the best birds out there, but i think they're pretty darn good, myself. if i can help at all, say the word and once i've got eggs available i'd be glad to send you a few. i've got 4 girls in my mille pen, producing black and blue milles (plus the occasional black or blue based buff columbian).

I'll also be setting up casey's pair. he says the roo is NOT mottled, but i think he really is. with a solid splash girl and a black mottled girl. we'll see what hatches once they start laying.

Thank you so much Karen.
I realized this morning, the chicks in the laundry room, and the eggs in the incubators, without the barn I don't know where I'm going to put everyone. I had just moved a pen of white Silkies into the grow out pen in the coop. I was in the process fo doing a lot of rearranging and changing around. I have t get my head clear and figure this out. Just when I start to think I'm beginning to have a handle on things

Just thought you might like to see some more pics of the chicks. I'm really excited about all of them. I'm working on uploading them right now. I can't wait until the brown one feathers out.

Thank you so much Karen.
I realized this morning, the chicks in the laundry room, and the eggs in the incubators, without the barn I don't know where I'm going to put everyone. I had just moved a pen of white Silkies into the grow out pen in the coop. I was in the process fo doing a lot of rearranging and changing around. I have t get my head clear and figure this out. Just when I start to think I'm beginning to have a handle on things
Nancy, I'm just catching up and hearing of your loss. My heart goes out to you. I'm at a loss for words.
hugs.gif

Thank you guys. No one but other breeders know that these were not JUST CHICKENS. Almost every one of my birds have names but they're more then just pets too. I don't know how to describe it right now. but you guys get it
I've been hurting so much. I guess it has helped today being able to talk about it.
I lost my barn on saturday. I am very grateful that I still have the coop and the chicks in the house and eggs in the incubator.
I lost all of my adult Cochin beeders except for one hen who was in the coop with the younger birds. The grow out pen is in the coop which is a long way from the barn.
I did have heat lamps and heated water bowls in the barn, I don't know if that's what caused the fire. I had cages around all of the heat lamps, some I made myself of extra wire but most were the cages that came with the heat lamps. But I made sure the bulbs were secure in every one. I even checked them regularily to make sure they were screwed in tight. I had a bulb fall off in a brooder in the house once & I've been so careful with heat lamps since then. I have the cords secure and I wired or tied the lamps to the sides of the pens so they couldn't be knocked around. I've been so cautious with heat lamps because I've actually been afraid of a fire. It's not really fair that I was so careful and still had a fire. I don't know if it was the heat lamps or the extention cord or what it was. When I went out there the middle of the barn was burning more then the south wing where I had my birds. But it was too far gone. I tried to break the door down but I couldn't get close.
I had had a migraine saturday - I was actually out in the barn when it came on - and the barn burnt while I slept. I am so angry and so sad
If it wasn't for the migraine I would have been out there when it started and I would have stopped it, and I would have known what caused it. and I would still have all of my beautiful birds

Thoughts, strength and hugs from here in NJ!! If there is anything I can do...please let me know!! I am so very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom