Mille Cochin Info

If you don't use Freaky and want to sell him- let me know. For some reason I'm hooked on that color. It does somewhat resemble Ivan's I think. Jr and Rudy are both beautiful boys!!
love.gif
Thanks Mike
smile.png

Fabulous photos everyone! They all look so very nice!!!

I have a few kids photos that I can share.

A young pullet.......

A little roo that decided to jump out of the brooder and onto the floor and then want back up in the brooder!

And a more mature pullet enjoying the sun yesterday out in the day pen. They still go back into a pen inside the brooder room at night.

Okay, now everyone can share more! I love seeing everyone's babies!!!
love.gif
Beautiful Amy!
love.gif
I was checking out your website and was wondering if you still have KK?

Quote:
So, what is the "recipe" for mille fleur? How do you create them?
mille fleur = buff columbian and mottled, essentially. some also carry the mahogany i've found, and others also have melanizing. the mahogany/melanizing I like myself. it's what i seem to get a lot of.

Last edited:
Quote:
mille fleur = buff columbian and mottled, essentially. some also carry the mahogany i've found, and others also have melanizing. the mahogany/melanizing I like myself. it's what i seem to get a lot of.

Wow ... thanks. I have a buff columbian and a couple of mottled just hatch out. I might use them as a mille fleur project and see what comes of it.

Quote:
mille fleur = buff columbian and mottled, essentially. some also carry the mahogany i've found, and others also have melanizing. the mahogany/melanizing I like myself. it's what i seem to get a lot of.

Forgot to ask... what is melanizing? What breed are you working with and how do you introduce the mahagony? I have cochins that I'd like to have the mille fleur coloring in.

Quote: there are enough people with quality mille fleur cochins, it would be easy to get eggs, chicks or even pairs, if you're willing to ship.

my mfc's came from a partridge line (which has the mahogany). a lot of columbians i've seen also have the melanizing. it simply makes the hackles darker, but reacts differently with different combinations.

if you want to start from scratch, it'll be several generations at the very least before youhave anything that even remotely resembles mfc, IMO...

when my girls aren't ALL broody, i have eggs available, and i'll have started birds later this summer, but i don't ship, sorry.

but i see you're in VA, so maybe not too far.

Last edited:
I am going to need some help here- our pigs are coming next weekend and I are taking up the big coop. I had my pens like this-

Pen 1- Remington, Chipper, Tuba, Peppermint
Pen 2- Roscoe, Gracie, Blue hen 1
Pen 3- Kipper, Tiffany, blue hen 2
Then the growout pen- 36 chicks, PB and Honey, A broody Silkie hen and her Rooster

I'm losing both pens 1 and 2 to the pigs so I will have the grow out and Rem's pen- Which rooster should I put into a breeding pen? It's only going to hold 4 bantams so the 2 blue hens won't be going in to breeding and Chipper has 6 chicks and Tuba is setting on 12 eggs. I just need to know which boy to move- I have a lot of chicks from Rem and 4 from Lynne's eggs.

I am going to need some help here- our pigs are coming next weekend and I are taking up the big coop. I had my pens like this-

Pen 1- Remington, Chipper, Tuba, Peppermint
Pen 2- Roscoe, Gracie, Blue hen 1
Pen 3- Kipper, Tiffany, blue hen 2
Then the growout pen- 36 chicks, PB and Honey, A broody Silkie hen and her Rooster

I'm losing both pens 1 and 2 to the pigs so I will have the grow out and Rem's pen- Which rooster should I put into a breeding pen? It's only going to hold 4 bantams so the 2 blue hens won't be going in to breeding and Chipper has 6 chicks and Tuba is setting on 12 eggs. I just need to know which boy to move- I have a lot of chicks from Rem and 4 from Lynne's eggs.
you could always make the pigs live somewhere else. like the freezer?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom