Mille Cochin Info

Chooketychook--you can go a couple directions. Find the best mille fleur roo and breed them or if not to be found try a buff columbian male or a mottled male. To keep the mille pattern in the first generation of chicks, use a mille roo. I'm not familiar with the quality of body type in the European mille fleur cochins. If its good body type then you don't need to breed to mottled or buff columbian.
Reyvaughn--it can be discouraging. I went thru some time last summer thinking of dropping MFC. But the color just "speaks" to me--I love it! It is a hobby, not a money maker. I keep my numbers small due to space limitations. The few shows I attend someone usually asks about the milles (or calicos). Even had a complement from a fellow at the Nebraska show, that my mille hen was one of the nicest in shape he'd seen. (he was a breeder from MN) That felt good. I accept that milles won't surpass blacks, whites, blues, mottles and its not why I raise them. I do raise show quality silkies so that helps to know I may have a win at a show on a silkie. So after last summer thinking over the MFC, I ended up adding silver laced to the flock
hmm.png

These are 3 of my Spring 2013 hatch. I'll keep both males to grow more, the one with more white is shaped better. Though feel I my MFCs are getting too much mottling and looking like calico (not what I want to breed) So the one with less white would be valuable in breeding, he's just not the body type I'd prefer. That's part of fun and the game!! Trying to combine desirable characteristics in one bird

I am pleased to see black in the breast feather of the lighter roo below. That's a step ahead if he can pass it on to babies.

Chooketychook--you can go a couple directions. Find the best mille fleur roo and breed them or if not to be found try a buff columbian male or a mottled male. To keep the mille pattern in the first generation of chicks, use a mille roo. I'm not familiar with the quality of body type in the European mille fleur cochins. If its good body type then you don't need to breed to mottled or buff columbian. Reyvaughn--it can be discouraging. I went thru some time last summer thinking of dropping MFC. But the color just "speaks" to me--I love it! It is a hobby, not a money maker. I keep my numbers small due to space limitations. The few shows I attend someone usually asks about the milles (or calicos). Even had a complement from a fellow at the Nebraska show, that my mille hen was one of the nicest in shape he'd seen. (he was a breeder from MN) That felt good. I accept that milles won't surpass blacks, whites, blues, mottles and its not why I raise them. I do raise show quality silkies so that helps to know I may have a win at a show on a silkie. So after last summer thinking over the MFC, I ended up adding silver laced to the flock
hmm.png
Thanks you shys creation,very much needed info =D

I keep birds for fun same as my leopard geckos I dont make anything from them! Also I only have 9mfc so nowhere near the numbers you guys keep. I just got rid of all but 3 of my large fowl and a trio of polish to make room for more mfc! So sorry can't be much help with the topic but interesting to learn.

So excited had to tell someone. Hubby wasn't interested and mum wasnt paricularly fussed! I thought you guys might be more understanding. Out of 17 mfc cochin eggs 16 are developing and one infertile. 10 are from dante, beyonce and latifa and 6 from the breeder I got dante from. So excited only 14 days to go!

So excited had to tell someone. Hubby wasn't interested and mum wasnt paricularly fussed! I thought you guys might be more understanding. Out of 17 mfc cochin eggs 16 are developing and one infertile. 10 are from dante, beyonce and latifa and 6 from the breeder I got dante from. So excited only 14 days to go!
You bet we ;understand!! I havent hatched any yet but looking forward to trying it. :D That sounds like a great percentage! Good luck and let us know, with photos, how it goes :D

You bet we ;understand!! I havent hatched any yet but looking forward to trying it. :D That sounds like a great percentage!  Good luck and let us know, with photos, how it goes :D
when it gets to hatch day you wont be able to get rid of me! You will be sick of photos of the little fuzzbutts

I have an inbreeding/linebreeding question. I know it's okay to put son over mother and father over daughter, but how about half siblings? Same dad, different moms? Or same father x grandfather? I want to put a Byron son (BC looking) over a Junior daughter (Byron is Junior's dad). Mothers are all different.

Byron
BC Looking Byron Son
Bridgette

Chick - To Inbred?
Byron
Junior
Millie
MF Looking Pullet
Girl from Katelyn (lines from Amy and Wingshadow)

I am not sure if I will get breast flowers or not, but I want to see if I can, and get rid of some white.
I am seriously lacking genetic diversity here.

Well, they aren't old enough to tell yet. I was asking because if either of these Byron sons make the cut (they have outer toe nails, so that's the biggest plus), I would like to use them/one of them on the pullets I hatched this year that have breast flowers. I still need to keep an eye on their combs and cushions. Otherwise, they look good for the age they are.

Back
Top Bottom