Mille Cochin Info

Sorry about all the questions. I'm wanting to get into this breed and color and planning to buy some from Rebecca. So is this color like in the standard? Is inbreeding ok? Too much white or too much brown a bigger problem ? Thanks !
no, the variety is not recognized yet. it is still a project variety so there are no givens... you can breed the same hen and roo, hatch 20 eggs and get 20 unique chicks. LOL

until type and pattern are set and you can reproduce the parents in the offspring, it will probably continue being a project...

personally, I like them for the 'eye candy' effect more than anything else, though I am still trying to improve both color and type i'm working with as well.

More pics! It was coop cleaning day. Always a good time for pics!

These first ones are of Mario, my new cockerel from Erin, and his 6 Byron daughters. Mario does not have the color I want, but his type! Yeah, so I seem to be having an issue with my priorities. I want both color and type. I complain I don't have the color, but want to keep the type. We'll see how Mario helps with that area.

Next are Junior and his girls (the 6 possible keepers I posted the other day are from this pen).

And Millie and Mildred, who are raising 3 Choc Orps. They gave me my first Chocolate Cochin this year (oops)!

[COLOR=0000FF] Anyone here give much thought to shafting?  I seem to have a lot of that going on….  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Also, we had our MFs in a show at the beginning of August, there were 7 there all together and the judge placed our best 'typed' girl after 2 of our girls with better color, and told us that was why he was placing them that way.  What ever happened to 'building the barn before painting it'?  I guess because they were entered as MF and not AOV, and our girl with the nice type is more mottled looking…. Still managed to confuse me.[/COLOR]

Yes shafting is definitely occuring!

More pics! It was coop cleaning day. Always a good time for pics!

These first ones are of Mario, my new cockerel from Erin, and his 6 Byron daughters. Mario does not have the color I want, but his type! Yeah, so I seem to be having an issue with my priorities. I want both color and type. I complain I don't have the color, but want to keep the type. We'll see how Mario helps with that area.

Wow, very colorful--for education can you tell me what all we got going on here genetically?

More pics! It was coop cleaning day. Always a good time for pics! These first ones are of Mario, my new cockerel from Erin, and his 6 Byron daughters. Mario does not have the color I want, but his type! Yeah, so I seem to be having an issue with my priorities. I want both color and type. I complain I don't have the color, but want to keep the type. We'll see how Mario helps with that area. Next are Junior and his girls (the 6 possible keepers I posted the other day are from this pen). And Millie and Mildred, who are raising 3 Choc Orps. They gave me my first Chocolate Cochin this year (oops)!
Very Nice birds! Coop cleaning day?! I need to have me one of them sometime soon!

Wow, very colorful--for education can you tell me what all we got going on here genetically?

He was from Erin's Mille Fleur project pens, but I do not know his parentage. She had another that was even more Salmon colored. She didn't know how he came about, nor what she was going to do with the other boy. I am assuming the background is still Buff Columbian x Mottled. Something in there made his hackles gold instead of black... which I have no clue. I just decided I'd put him over my shmexy Byron daughters (BC looking with the mottled gene) since they have nice type. I was wondering if his gold hackles will stop the BC's breast chevron limitations? I just knew I needed a new boy and type was #1 on my priorities.

PS. I am aware Juniors girls are mostly lacking tails. Since he is also lacking most of his tail, either they are molting or the Smutty Buff is the tail raider... based on the fact she has all her tail yet. Also, Junior is my huge combed boy w/ thumbprints.

Last edited:
He was from Erin's Mille Fleur project pens, but I do not know his parentage. She had another that was even more Salmon colored. She didn't know how he came about, nor what she was going to do with the other boy. I am assuming the background is still Buff Columbian x Mottled. Something in there made his hackles gold instead of black... which I have no clue. I just decided I'd put him over my shmexy Byron daughters (BC looking with the mottled gene) since they have nice type. I was wondering if his gold hackles will stop the BC's breast chevron limitations? I just knew I needed a new boy and type was #1 on my priorities.
Well he sure seems to have type. I hope you post pics of his chicks when you get some. He is awesome.

PS. I am aware Juniors girls are mostly lacking tails. Since he is also lacking most of his tail, either they are molting or the Smutty Buff is the tail raider... based on the fact she has all her tail yet. Also, Junior is my huge combed boy w/ thumbprints.
I didnt even notice tails/combs --i was "bedazzled" by Mario's colors

Back
Top Bottom