Mille Cochin Info

Just sharing some pics from this week :)

Also, some exciting news, (for me, anyway) I spoke to an acquaintance of mine at our state fair recently. He was instrumental in adding the Blue variety to the Jersey Giant SOP.
I have a basic understanding of the outline that we need to add the Mille Fleur color to the Cochin standard (& I know we're still years away) but it'll be nice to sit down and discuss it with someone who's actually done it. & he's my closest pullorium tester. Until I go through the class, then I'll be my closest tester
big_smile.png

Pretty, pretty!
I love the photo of the roo with his face right down into the plants. I could just hear him making gobbling, eating noises!

And so great on learning the process of getting these recognized! I have someone here in our local poultry club that has said they would help me but I am ages away from that point so I haven't talked further with them about it. Showing is just not high in my priorities. I am having too much enjoyment with my birds.

I know you should aim for type first but have you tried a cockerel like this? Even though he doesn't show the best type, is it possible he might have something hidden away in his genes and possibly give you mille's that have type and color/ pattern? I've actually had this question on my mind lately since when I had golden laced my cockerel was horrible but I bread him to his sister who was a decent example of a hen and their chicks turned out quite nice.

Xavier is amazing as always though. ;)

I think you are onto something. Its definitely shown in mine as males have poorer type than females. I've heard that generally, males pass on the color and female the body type

I think you are onto something. Its definitely shown in mine as males have poorer type than females. I've heard that generally, males pass on the color and female the body type

I should really find out about this here pretty soon though as the last of rhicks are growing up in the brooder right now. His type wasn't so great so we should find out a little more about this.

My roosters look closer to type than the females as far as I can see. Will have to take some time and photos to check that out. My roosters have big combs but that is about it as far as I can see and even that looks good to me! I wish it was ok for type.
The hens are really pretty though. hmmmm Maybe I am dissing them because they has only just started to show any white coloring at all. One has had the black chevrons but no white at all till recently.
Havent been looking past that.

Last edited:
I don't know. I am tempted to breed him but for now his name is MFUgly. Pattern isn't as important to me right now but I keep getting roos like this. The type is so crappy but they sell like crazy to backyard hobbyists who want pretty birds, not really breeders.
I mean, really, all he has going for him is some pattern. His head is horrid, his comb is worse, his conformation is disgusting. Bless his heart, I think the hens even laugh at him. BUT, I was breeding for pattern and this is what I got so I know what made him and got rid of it. However, if I could fit him with my best typed MF hen then maybe I could hatch off something I could later work with. That is what we are thinking on. I have several more boys that I am watching grow up though so this boy may be booted out in a few months.

MFUgly sure fits!

I don't know. I am tempted to breed him but for now his name is MFUgly. Pattern isn't as important to me right now but I keep getting roos like this. The type is so crappy but they sell like crazy to backyard hobbyists who want pretty birds, not really breeders.
I mean, really, all he has going for him is some pattern. His head is horrid, his comb is worse, his conformation is disgusting. Bless his heart, I think the hens even laugh at him. BUT, I was breeding for pattern and this is what I got so I know what made him and got rid of it. However, if I could fit him with my best typed MF hen then maybe I could hatch off something I could later work with. That is what we are thinking on. I have several more boys that I am watching grow up though so this boy may be booted out in a few months.

MFUgly sure fits!

He is NOT ugly but nonstandard yes. :D

I don't know. I am tempted to breed him but for now his name is MFUgly. Pattern isn't as important to me right now but I keep getting roos like this. The type is so crappy but they sell like crazy to backyard hobbyists who want pretty birds, not really breeders. I mean, really, all he has going for him is some pattern. His head is horrid, his comb is worse, his conformation is disgusting. Bless his heart, I think the hens even laugh at him. BUT, I was breeding for pattern and this is what I got so I know what made him and got rid of it. However, if I could fit him with my best typed MF hen then maybe I could hatch off something I could later work with. That is what we are thinking on. I have several more boys that I am watching grow up though so this boy may be booted out in a few months. MFUgly sure fits!
He is quite lanky bless him. The red colour is nice though very rich.

The genetics just did not line up on him very well, other than for pattern. But that is what I get for trying to breed for pattern only. I prefer to stick with breeding for type and the pattern will fall into place when it is time.

The red is always in my birds this well, except for the bloodline I introduced from Mike. His birds give me great type but I get that partridge color to have to work through and it overpowers the vermillion. I am willing to work with it though because his birds are fantastic! I just keep running the bloodlines together in such a way that I may get that vermillion back in. Xavier is great to keep passing on that vermillion, though MFUgly is a great, great grandson of his. That type sure bred out quickly enough! LOL
With this I learned what NOT to breed.

Back
Top Bottom