Mille Cochin Info

I didn't know that was you!
gig.gif

You know I love Simba ~

Here is "Simba" my 7 month old Roo I hatched this year and keeping. He is so sweet and I love his coloring
smile.png
Interesting thing is he was hatched black with yellow chest! So I guess you never know what they will end up like!

He grew up to marvelous!
And yes, most people do not think that a mostly black chick can mature out to a decent patterned MFC. I have been told that MF can not hatch out black, that they must hatch out yellow. Experience shows that they can!

Thank you for sharing!

The color of the chick is an indication of which e-allele or gene they are based upon. The "penguin" look ie black with yellow belly indicates the E or extended Black allele. The yellowish chicks indicate eWh or Wheaten (sometimes with faint chipmunk stripes). There are five e-alleles and they are each distinctive, although when they are mixed it may be harder to tell exactly which two a chick contains. Some, however, like E are very easy to tell.

Dave

The color of the chick is an indication of which e-allele or gene they are based upon. The "penguin" look ie black with yellow belly indicates the E or extended Black allele. The yellowish chicks indicate eWh or Wheaten (sometimes with faint chipmunk stripes). There are five e-alleles and they are each distinctive, although when they are mixed it may be harder to tell exactly which two a chick contains. Some, however, like E are very easy to tell.

Dave
Dave

Doesnt wild show as chipmunk down? What are the other 2?

· Wild Type (e+) - Males black breasted with red duckwing (wing triangle), hackle, saddle, shoulders. Females brown-gold with salmon breast, black stippling on back and black tail. Chicks are the classic 'chipmunk' pattern

· Extended Black (E) - Dominant, turns the wing triangle black, changing it from a duckwing to a crow-wing. Males become a rusty black, hens less rusty black. Also responsible for solid black birds when combined with other melanizing factors. Chicks are usually black with varying amounts of white/yellow on their bellies, wings and head

· Birchen (ER) - Turns wing triangle black (crow-wing) but leaves hackle and saddles normally marked. Black breast can be laced. Somewhat flattens red tints. Chicks are usually a solid black, without the white/yellow markings found on extended black chicks.

· Wheaten (eWh) - Least permissive for black, most permissive for red. Males are wild type without hackle black, females wheaten colored without salmon breast and almost no stippling on back. Chicks tend to be a lighter color, usually buff, sometimes showing slight chipmunk pattern

· Partridge (eb) - Males are wildtype but somewhat heavier black striping in hackle. Hens are wildtype but without salmon breast. (Not to be confused with the color Partridge, in which hens are penciled). Chicks are usually a golden brown sometimes showing faint chipmunk pattern.

Last edited:
Karen defined to chick colors nicely. The only thing I might add is that the eb chick brown is most often a rich chocolate or darker brown.

Unfortunately, some color varieties are best on some e-alleles rather than others. Then again other varieieties are less dependent on specific e-bases.

With eWH, ER, and eb the chick coloration can be fairly variable due to other genes that may be present. For example, Co (Columbian) and Db (darkbrown) both may show a darker hackle patch especially on eWh. mo (mottle) often adds white/cream down on the wings and foot feathers.

The best methods is to know the parents/grandparents when possible. In my MF, BrownRed/Lemon Blue [rpjects I had to spend an entire year doing test matings as they birds were all acquired from various sources. There were lots of surprises to say the least!

DAve

Back
Top Bottom