Mille Cochin Info

Very cool! those hens still look awesome. All of my girls are crazy broodies but, they lay a lot of eggs and they're massive sized eggs for bantams. I am so jealous of your choc. boy. I have two choc girls and am breeding to split males this spring. fingers crossed if find one that throws choc before they go broody. hahahaah really like that one male you got from me.... he's huge!

My Chocolate boy is a pure Orp - I am still working on getting F1s. I almost lost all but one Orp boy this year. Thankfully the one pulled through and the other's sale fell through.

Xavier produces really nice type on his offspring. This little lady is 7 months old, laying like mad and will soon be put in with Quincy for more gorgeous MF babies.

Quincy's daughter looks a lot better when she isn't moving. She is very typy for a 5 mth old, has really good pattern for my 6th generation and will be put into breeding later this spring.

Slowly but surely all my hard work is coming around. Nice to see it coming into bloom!

love.gif

Update on my Chocolate Bantam Cochin project!
I have 4 babies from my Otis pen (chocolate bantam Orp over black bantam Cochin pullets - my Jamie Matts cockerel and roo from Sue Tillman are these black girls' dads). I also have 2 chicks from my Tom pen (father is a black bantam Cochin from Tom Roebuck and the mothers are bantam chocolate Orps I bred and raised from my original quint). I can't tell what color the chicks are from Tom's pen - they are still in the suet holder and the other chicks in the hatching tray seem very attracted to it. I do have 2 black cockerels and including the pullet hatched last week, I have 2 chocolate pullets from Otis' pen. I have a couple that have some decent middle toe feathering this time!

My chocolate Mille project isn't going to far. I only have a trio set up. Millie and Mildred are laying sporadically, and there are some eggs in the incubator. I think I am going to put my F1 chocolate MFC pullet I hatched last year in with a MFC roo. I will have a lesser chance of chocolate chicks, they will still all be pullets though. Thanks to Erin, my MFC cockerels have nice cushions and surprisingly this pullet isn't to bad. Her tail doesn't turn in, but her cushion needs work, of course. I think I need a mottled hen or two if I really plan on doing the chocolate MFC project. I honestly don't want to get into another project, though.

I swear, as soon as I get time, I will get pics!

2014 babies, so far! I marked the F1 chocolate Cochins in the first pic. There are 4 black split chocolate boys in there, too.

One of the chocolate pullets.

The older group from December's hatches. There are 4 chocolate Orps and then the rest are MFCs.

My fertility is still down. Or at least my hatchability is. I am not storing them on the egg turners like I should be. I have no room to break them out. I'll fix that issue as soon as I have time and I am not worrying about frozen chicks!

Xavier produces really nice type on his offspring. This little lady is 7 months old, laying like mad and will soon be put in with Quincy for more gorgeous MF babies.

Quincy's daughter looks a lot better when she isn't moving. She is very typy for a 5 mth old, has really good pattern for my 6th generation and will be put into breeding later this spring.

Slowly but surely all my hard work is coming around. Nice to see it coming into bloom!
Love that color coming around on the bottom pic. Nice girl.

New rooster coming tomorrow. He went to my sisters for yard ornament because I didn't like how he was shaping up as a juvenile. He was a result of an outstanding blue hen split to mottled crossed on MF roo. This boy came out black mottled and lanky lanky as a juvenile. Cushion was a mess when he was young. My sister told me he was getting this awful leakage in his hackles (coming from MF line) and he was being a turd to the young roosters in the winter pen. At first I wasn't interested but I told her I would look at him anyway to see if I could use him or not. I was floored by the body width and the cushion this boy has now!
ep.gif
Doesn't even look like the same rooster. So obviously I said I wanted him back and he is coming tomorrow. So............ now I'm thinking I better be a little more careful with my juveniles to keep from throwing out a diamond in the rough. Will try to get some pics for you guys when he meets the ladies. Taking him back to the MF gals and hatching like crazy when they start to lay.

So here he is!

Cockerel in the front is just a little youngster I'm growing out​

Here is that little cockerel I'm growing out again, he has some proper feather pattern on the rear end and less deep red with cleaner color. unfortunately all this black is coming in the front end. But think I learned my lesson about shipping them on too quickly. Gonna spend a little more time growing juveniles out this year.​

This is Scotty from Nancy he is going through a molt an Isis a Jamie matts hen really excited for their chicks this year :)

Back
Top Bottom