Mille Cochin Info

well, HM... I've noticed one girl in the nest off and on at all times of the day the last week or so, but no odd behavior otherwise. figured she was going broody. I was going to scold her tonight for taking up the nest box and she was dead... much heavier than my other mfc girls, I'm thinking she's either egg bound or laying internally... one of my first 'homegrown' girls. but I still have her sister. the blue mille girl... I still have her sister and the black mille pictured
aw I am sorry. It so sad when they die especially when they are your own birds you grew.

Isis
Scotty and Sugarbaby
Scotty
Sugarbaby

Ive got my first bunch of eggs under a broody silkie from these 3 cant wait :)
jumpy.gif
ya.gif

Just for you, Mike!
lol.png

How's your weather lately? It's your turn for pics
wink.png
Thanks Nancy. I should have kept going. I would have been able to guess every roo except Henry. I can't find my camera cord unfortunately. I have the best of luck with those things. I swear that's 3 or 4 I've lost since last year. We had 50* weather for the past week but are getting hit with a major snowstorm tonight. Uggh!! I just want it to end. My pics from yesterday came out really bad because mud was everywhere from the melting snow. I'll try for pics this weekend though!!

well you will have some nice dark eating eggs from marans. What are rhodebars are they rir cross barred rock? I have 3 eating egg birds outside a buff Orpington, black rock and an araucana cross silky. The little pekin eggs arent much good for eating!

Rhodebars are an autosexing breed from some European country. I read about so many breeds I cant remember if they are from England or not but I think they are. They are brown egg layers and look like crele coloring. Funny your Perkin/ bantam Cochin eggs are small. My MFCs lay medium eggs near the same size as my Ameraucanas. My bantam chocolate Corps lay eggs as big as the Ams. My black bantam Cochin are no better than Silkie eggs though.

Someone asked about me getting cockerels from Erin... Yes, I did get two. The dark one, Mario, was giving me mostly white chicks. Weird since he was so dark. I was discouraged to hear the partridge I added for breast flowers would never "clean" up and lose the stippling. It may disappear for a generation or two and then come back. So, all of those girls left. I should have kept one of the BC looking girls. She had nice type with a really wide cushion and no bunny tail. Like I said, we will see what this year's hatch gave me. I like the look of one of my BC looking pullets. I was concerned about them since this generation is inbred. I took Byron's daughters and put him back over them. I then bred the brothers and sisters from those Byron daughters in hopes of bringing Byron's type back. I hope it worked. I had a couple chicks not hatch and thought the close genetics was the cause. I had some hatch and not thrive. I knew it was a risk but it was worth it even if I only get one or two good birds from it. I kept the best looking cockerel I got from Erin in September. You know... just in case.

Edited for spelling and missed words thanks to the cell phone.

Last edited:
Reyvaughn ive given up on quoting its not working out for me! I guess they are not that small really but there are only 2 of us so we dont really end up eatingmany of the bantam eggs they get hatched sold or go to the dogs which we have 5 of! Great to know the direction you took with your program. See below a pic of my daily eggs! L-r buff Orpington egg, silky araucana cross egg, pekin egg, booted bantam egg!

Back
Top Bottom