Mille Cochin Info

Lol, some of the hatches were that high. Bear in mind that i hatch out huge numbers of chicks each season. Overall my ratios are about 50/50, but i do get more males then females on some occasions. With mille fluer or partridge you can usually tell on day 1 if they are a boy or girl though. So i can get rid of them early and not worry about feeding 50 boys that i am going to get rid of anyway.

It is always good to have 2 or 3 good "back up" roosters around. You never know what is going to happen down the road.

Good Luck with your hatch, i certainly hope you get more girls this time around.

I like boys, they are cute.

Last edited:
Lol, some of the hatches were that high. Bear in mind that i hatch out huge numbers of chicks each season. Overall my ratios are about 50/50, but i do get more males then females on some occasions. With mille fluer or partridge you can usually tell on day 1 if they are a boy or girl though. So i can get rid of them early and not worry about feeding 50 boys that i am going to get rid of anyway.

It is always good to have 2 or 3 good "back up" roosters around. You never know what is going to happen down the road.

Good Luck with your hatch, i certainly hope you get more girls this time around.
OH YOU MUST GIVE ME YOUR SECRET.. How do you tell at day One if they are boys???

I agree with 2 or 3 but now I'm up to SIX... so I have doubled your request. LOL

I like boys, they are cute.

Wow, isn't he a looker!!!

And I definitely agreed about hatch rates. The first 12 Mf's I hatched this past spring were boys. I still have 5 of them but am going to try and cut it back to 2 or 3. The five I kept are full brothers but so very different from one another.

And sorry for flooding you all with more photos but here are some.

Nigal and Ranger. I really don't know whether I want to keep them. Both have some really good qualities but both are lacking the white just as their father Nigus did.

And then my top choices Feather and the Mottled boy. Any name suggestions for him?

And here are some hens and their chicks.

This blue hen I will probably sell with all her chicks. I haven't ever had a cochin hen so flighty or nervous...

Now in these pics your Mottled chick does look like a cockerel
tongue.png

Sandy and Tuba look great!

My Ivan/ Freaky look-alike

I'd like to see if anyone else has had this situation. I have two six-month olds, one of which went broody last week after onlly laying six eggs. Now her "sister" is getting into the nest box with her, laying her egg, but then staying there all day as well. What's up with that?

On top of that, the two of them are scooping up all the golf balls/fake eggs from the other nest boxes and bringing them under their wings into their "shared" next box. Hysterical!

Here is the broody golf ball stealer come out for treats...

oops...can't get it to turn with this iPad! ARghhhh

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom