Mille Cochin Info

Agree Very Pretty but he is not blue.

Fascinating! I checked with the original breeder who sold him to the friend I bought the trio from, as I wasnt clear on his color. She confirmed to me that he was a blue mille fleur. Tell me what y'all think his color is, and show me what Blue Mille Fleur Cochin roo & hen should look like then, pretty please? And this daughter is the only one that was a "Blue MF" pullet:

Fascinating! I checked with the original breeder who sold him to the friend I bought the trio from, as I wasnt clear on his color. She confirmed to me that he was a blue mille fleur. Tell me what y'all think his color is, and show me what Blue Mille Fleur Cochin roo & hen should look like then, pretty please? And this daughter is the only one that was a "Blue MF" pullet:
Here's a pic of one of my Blue Millie Pullets.

Thanks...That's a good start. although these two hens look fairly different from each other, they are certainly more "blue" than my blond girl. Anyone have a blue MF roo photo?? Here is Ricky as a teenager:

I think the issue here is understanding how the blue gene works. It, like chocolate, is a dilute of black. If you breed blue to black you will get some blue and some black and sometimes splash (sometimes called a sport which appears to be very white with splashes of blue) but you will never have both blue and black feathers on the same bird. Eta: you may have some feathers which are very dark... But when you look closely it is still blue. Our monitors and cameras can sometimes miss the subtle differences.

I have seen this before in birds where breeders were thinking they had a recessive chocolate bird when, in actuality, they had a combination of brown or partridge genes as there were both choc. And black feathers on the same bird.

To me, The pullet you posted clearly shows a black Mille fleur type pattern. Her hackles are obviously black. Now looking at this younger picture of your cockerel, his tail does look smokey blue but I believe there are other genes mixed in with him to create this smutty look (lemon bras siness). that makes it hard to tell. And that's been a huge problem with the creation of this variety ... Who knows what the heck colored birds people tossed in the mix to make something pretty and sell as "calico" or "Mille fleur".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom